Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MLB Authentication- Authenticated Wrong Item

So I picked up a Juan Perez batting helmet from 2013 in hopes that it was the batting helmet used against Mariano Rivera. They actually had two batting helmets for sale, one being Game Used and authenticated during the last home stand and one Team Issued (the one I bought). I wasn't able to purchase the authenticated Game Used helmet so purchased the Team Issued without ever seeing the game used helmet.

Did some research and photo-matching and found out my Team Issue helmet was the one used during the last home stand and MLB authenticated the wrong helmet as used during the last home stand.

Would this worry some people? I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt as 2013 they typically only had one helmet throughout the year... but still...

Re: MLB Authentication- Authenticated Wrong Item

Always photomatch.... My JV jersey was "said to be game used " but I didn't rest until a affirmative match. Shows that there can always be doubt sadly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

By said I mean through mlb authentication.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

I've had some heart burn with MLB authentication and the worse was a gray Pedroia jersey I bought in 2009. When I checked the MLB site it stated the jersey was used in a Tigers vs Red Sox game at Fenway. For the longest time I didn't think anything of it until it finally dawned on me that the Red Sox wear white jerseys at home and the gray are away. Luckily I bought the item from a reputable dealer and they contacted MLB to try to get a correction on the authentication. When they couldn't get it corrected I returned the jersey and they refunded me my money. That was the first MLB authenticated item I purchased and it taught me to pay close attention to what they state on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by MercyMe78 View Post
    So I picked up a Juan Perez batting helmet from 2013 in hopes that it was the batting helmet used against Mariano Rivera. They actually had two batting helmets for sale, one being Game Used and authenticated during the last home stand and one Team Issued (the one I bought). I wasn't able to purchase the authenticated Game Used helmet so purchased the Team Issued without ever seeing the game used helmet.

Did some research and photo-matching and found out my Team Issue helmet was the one used during the last home stand and MLB authenticated the wrong helmet as used during the last home stand.

Would this worry some people? I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt as 2013 they typically only had one helmet throughout the year... but still...
    I am now doubting what you say but how do you know what the authentication was on the other helmet said? Do you have the hologram # on the helmet you didn't get?

Its very common that items are hologram'd as game issued that were in fact game used but authenticators aren't supposed to hologram them as game used unless they witnessed the item go from the field into the authenticators hands.

I've handled 100's of team items that were hologram'd as game issued that show obvious signs of use. Better to err on the side of caution.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I am now doubting what you say......
    Freudian slip?

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Freudian slip?
    Whoops..... not*
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by MercyMe78 View Post

It could be that the authenticator just wasn't at that game or just that he didn't see it used during that at bat. They are humans and have needs too....so its not something I would worry about if you have definitive proof it was game used in your photo matches. I know I have several items listed as game issued that are game used so its just part of the process and something we have to deal with being in the hobby. I would like to know how you know the other one was authenticated as game used just out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I am now doubting what you say but how do you know what the authentication was on the other helmet said? Do you have the hologram # on the helmet you didn't get?

Its very common that items are hologram'd as game issued that were in fact game used but authenticators aren't supposed to hologram them as game used unless they witnessed the item go from the field into the authenticators hands.

I've handled 100's of team items that were hologram'd as game issued that show obvious signs of use. Better to err on the side of caution.
    I asked my contact at the Giants to provide me the most up to date list of everything they had, including the 2013 batting helmets. The chart he gave me had two Juan Perez helmets, one being Game Used and one being Team Issued

Game Used: EK356079
    Notes-SF Giants Batting Helmet #2 Juan Perez - Used 9-24-13, 9-26-13, 9-27-13, 9-28-13 and 9-29-13.

Team Issued:EK356085
    Notes- SF Giants Batting Helmet #2 Juan Perez

When I went to go purchase, I wanted the Game Used (as the odds were higher that it would of been used couple of days before the home stand at Yankee Stadium) but was informed it wasn't available and only the Team Issued was.. so I gambled and lo and behold.. it was the one used during the home stand and against the Yankees

Can we see the phot match that proves it is the helmet?