Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: February 2014 "Pick-Ups" Thread

I picked up this Joey Jones USFL jersey on Ebay yesterday. Jones was a star at Alabama and is now the head coach at South Alabama. The guy who sold it to me bought it at a thrift store for $10! After a ton of research I am all but certain its a gamer. The lettering on his name is in line with what the Stallions used in 1985. I have struggled to find pictures of the Stallions wearing the Red Jerseys in 85 but I did manage to find a video of a preseason game where they wore the red jerseys and a picture from a game against San Antonio that I think has to be from the 85 season. The jersey has been hemmed and that resulted in the Russell tag being removed. I was able to find a Joe Cribbs stallions game jersey where the same alteration had been made. So the lack of a tag didn't bother me as much. Can any of you spot any flaws in this being an actual game used jersey?

I even dropped Coach Jones an email and he said it passed the eye test.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by HunterFikes View Post
    I picked up this Joey Jones USFL jersey on Ebay yesterday. Jones was a star at Alabama and is now the head coach at South Alabama. The guy who sold it to me bought it at a thrift store for $10! After a ton of research I am all but certain its a gamer. The lettering on his name is in line with what the Stallions used in 1985. I have struggled to find pictures of the Stallions wearing the Red Jerseys in 85 but I did manage to find a video of a preseason game where they wore the red jerseys and a picture from a game against San Antonio that I think has to be from the 85 season. The jersey has been hemmed and that resulted in the Russell tag being removed. I was able to find a Joe Cribbs stallions game jersey where the same alteration had been made. So the lack of a tag didn't bother me as much. Can any of you spot any flaws in this being an actual game used jersey?

Great jersey, congrats.

Was able to pick up a Brett Marshall Game Used spring training hat from 2013...Brett is from my very small town in S.E. Texas, I've known him since he was in t-ball and he played ball with my brother all the way through high school so it's really cool seeing someone you've known for so long finally get a shot at the pro level...he's now with the Cubs so hoping to pick up some new items this year

Quote Originally Posted by HunterFikes View Post

I agree, it had to be from 1985. The font does not match their 1983 or 1984 jerseys but does match my 1985 white Stallions jersey. I was interested in this one but could not find any footage or pictures where the Stallions wore red jerseys with a wide mesh like this one in 1985. Could find pictures from 1985 where they wore narrow red mesh jerseys. I thought it was a team issued jersey at the least and possibly game worn but could not find a game where they wore this style. There were games from 1985 I just couldn't find any pictures or footage of.

Quote Originally Posted by holydiver5150 View Post
    I agree, it had to be from 1985. The font does not match their 1983 or 1984 jerseys but does match my 1985 white Stallions jersey. I was interested in this one but could not find any footage or pictures where the Stallions wore red jerseys with a wide mesh like this one in 1985. Could find pictures from 1985 where they wore narrow red mesh jerseys. I thought it was a team issued jersey at the least and possibly game worn but could not find a game where they wore this style. There were games from 1985 I just couldn't find any pictures or footage of.
    Stallions wore the red fishnet against LA in 85. http://beta.usatodaysportsimages.com/preview/5748714. They also wore red against San Antonio and in a preseason game against Houston. They wore white in at least 14 games. I have not been able to find photos of two games (Memphis and Baltimore).

Struck up a deal recently and added a jersey that had a little surprise to it once I dug a little deeper. Here is Jesse Winker's (Cincinnati Reds prospect) Billings Mustangs jersey from the 2012 season. Little research shows this jersey was worn in Winker's pro debut and first career professional hit.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

1998-99 Chris Webber game worn jersey first year in Sacramento

Quote Originally Posted by KINGSFAN209 View Post
    1998-99 Chris Webber game worn jersey first year in Sacramento

Very nice Kings pickup <KINGSFAN209>! Congrats.

Bob

These are MLB auction pictures because my camera broke , but picked up these 2 post season jerseys . Tony Sanchez and Jose Tabata.

Sergei Brylin New Jersey Devils 06-07 Red Set Game Used Jersey w/ Garth Brooks Teammates for Kids Patch 1/4/07