Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for opinions/advice - Rick Ankiel game-used bat

Ok guys - Just picked up game-used bat #2 for my Cardinals collection, and its from my all-time favorite former Cardinal, Rick Ankiel. Picked this up for $75, which I felt was a good price for an un-cracked Ankiel gamer... even if its a little too much, he's my guy so I don't mind to pay extra. I don't know much about game-used bats, but the Rawlings Big Stick bats are consistent with some of the bats he used with the Cardinals.

Unfortunately, I broke my own golden rule of not buying anything without legitimate authenticity (until I get a better eye for fakes), however, I feel somewhat good about this. One of the main things that makes me feel comfortable about this purchase is the "24" on the bat knob. I know this doesn't mean much as anyone could write 24 to pass it on as Ankiel, but the font looks very similar to several IP autographs I have of him, as he would always add his jersey number. Also, the tape sequence seems to be consistent with images I've pulled from him

I'm currently in contact with the seller to get some more back-story on the bat, but wanted to see what you guys thought. Was I right to trust my gut, or am I screwed?

Re: Looking for opinions/advice - Rick Ankiel game-used bat

Also, these are the seller's pics... I will add more once the bat is received

Received a response from the seller that the bat was obtained from the winter warm-up from the Cardinals care store.

...still looking for opinions as I you can never be too sure. The updated information makes me feel pretty good about it, but I guess any good counterfitter that is worth his salt will know the right things to say to a potential buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by cekirsch129 View Post
    Received a response from the seller that the bat was obtained from the winter warm-up from the Cardinals care store.

...still looking for opinions as I you can never be too sure. The updated information makes me feel pretty good about it, but I guess any good counterfitter that is worth his salt will know the right things to say to a potential buyer.
    Ankiel did use some tape and the font of the 24 on the knob looks to be legit to me. I'm not sure about uncracked bats being sold by the team. Never heard of that before. Usually they only get them when they are broken. But for $75 you can't get hurt at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    Ankiel did use some tape and the font of the 24 on the knob looks to be legit to me. I'm not sure about uncracked bats being sold by the team. Never heard of that before. Usually they only get them when they are broken. But for $75 you can't get hurt at that price.

I may have actually misspoken about it being uncracked... The seller didn't put much detail in the description and from the pics, I couldn't discern a crack. I don't care either way, so I didn't ask. It very well may be cracked. I purchased this from ebay and would be happy to provide a link to the auction, but I don't want to violate any forum rules

Great price, it likely has a small crack you cant see in the pictures. Definitely his model of choice, and with those markings you should be able to find a photo match.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotystl View Post
    Great price, it likely has a small crack you cant see in the pictures. Definitely his model of choice, and with those markings you should be able to find a photo match.
    That's what I was thinking... The seller doesn't seem to be much of a dealer of game used items, as he only sells items once in a blue moon on ebay, and most recently a So Taguchi gamer with an LOA from Cardinals Care. Definitely doesn't seem like someone who's trying to scam game-used gear.

I can't wait to get the bat in person and do some detective work. I feel a little silly with buying it so quickly without getting all my ducks in a row, but since Ankiel still has a decent following, I wanted to lock it up before someone else hit the BIN. I've been looking for a good Ankiel gamer recently, and the fact that this one is from his Cardinals days carries an extra premium to me, being a Cards fan.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    Just received word from the seller that there are a couple cracked by the name plate and also the logo. So, not an uncracked gamer like my first thought, but this gives a little more validation to his story of purchasing it from Cardinals Care. I'm feeling good!

Quote Originally Posted by cekirsch129 View Post
    Just received word from the seller that there are a couple cracked by the name plate and also the logo. So, not an uncracked gamer like my first thought, but this gives a little more validation to his story of purchasing it from Cardinals Care. I'm feeling good!
    Yeah, I doubt someone out there is making fake Ankiel bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier39 View Post
    Yeah, I doubt someone out there is making fake Ankiel bats.
    I agree, but I've seen/dealt with a lot of slimy people in all facets of life, so nothing surprises me these days.