Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stasman
    • Dec 2011

Re: Frank Thomas HOF rookie game worn cap

PAC, all the tagging and stitching matches 1990 Sox hats. It has now been authenticated twice and BPH obtained it directly from a clubhouse attendant who had the hat in his possession since 1990. It might not photo match the hat at the time of a photo, but it's COA, LOA and chain of custody are solid.

Comment

• stasman
      • Dec 2011

The hat is dirty and soiled, and if he only wore it for 6 games and the clubhouse guy got it and stored it properly this is what I would think it would look like. I'm confident this is Franks Rookie Worn cap. If anybody knows of another way to authenticate a 1990 cap, please let me know. I guess 3 coa's would be better then 2. But I'm very happy with my 2 COA and LOA.

Comment

• Chess2899
        • Feb 2014

Stasman-How much do you want for the hat........cash.....no questions asked

Comment

• stasman
          • Dec 2011

Hi Chess. I'm so excited to have this, I don't think I could sell it. I've been a small time collector for almost 30 years and this may just be the " holy grail" of my collection. I've always heard stories about great autograph card pulls or finding a rare item at a flea market, well, I think this was my incredible find. I know it's not a million dollar piece, but for my wife and I being Big Hurt fans his whole career, we are very excited to own this. I believe it could be the only Rookie Thomas hat out there.

Comment

• gucollector
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Chess2899
            Stasman-How much do you want for the hat........cash.....no questions asked
            $250 cash just for this thread to end...

Comment

• stasman
              • Dec 2011

Sorry GUCollector. Just excited to have this.

Comment

• Roady
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stasman
                Sorry GUCollector. Just excited to have this.
                Don't pay attention or give hateful people the satisfaction. This thread is interesting.

Comment

• Phil316
                  • May 2013

I agree with Roady on this one.

He has had 2 people whom have been in the business longer than most of us check it out. The 2 people have actually held the hat and looked it over not just through a CPU screen. If there was any concern it would have been raised already by those 2.

I say enjoy your grail. Bring it to Frank have him take a look at it. Even if you get something else signed you can still show it to him.

Comment

• gucollector
                    • Jan 2010

Oh fellows I am not hateful. Just cant believe we are about to hit the big #100 posts about a Frank Thomas hat. Honestly, its a fine item... I would love to add a gem like this to my collection one day. Hope we can dig up a photo match soon!

Comment

• stasman
                      • Dec 2011

Thanks Phil316.

Comment

• stasman
                        • Dec 2011

This is why I really enjoy GUU. I can talk to other collectors who have more experience and knowledge then me. I have learned a lot from you guys on this thread.

Comment

• Chess2899
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roady
                          Don't pay attention or give hateful people the satisfaction. This thread is interesting.

yes, it is a thrill to find a gem. I have collected for 40 years and have found one gem in a pile of rocks. I found Mike Schmidt's jersey that he hit his last HR with on May 2, 1989. I saw him at a show and he confirmed it to me. He wondered what had happened to that jersey. He told me he was planning to retire and was saving every jersey in 1989 after he hit a homer but that one disappeared. I even asked him if he wanted it back. but he said no and signed it on the back as his last HR jersey which was really nice.

be proud and I hope Frank gives you the same treatment.

Comment

• stasman
                            • Dec 2011

Love that story. It is a great feeling when you know you have a very unique item.

Comment

• icollectDCsports
                              • Nov 2005

1. The Cap: I can't add to what folks who've seen it have said. It's likely good and I think you should feel about confident as you can without a photo match, which can be difficult with caps.

2. The autograph: I am not an autograph expert, but I think the signature looks good base on other signatures I've seen. Remember, signing the underside of the brim of a baseball cap isn't like signing a nice, smooth paper item or photo. Particularly because of the raised stitching. And items like these are often signed while the player is standing and holding with one hand while signing with the other, sometimes while in a rush. All of this can lead to a signature that's not going to look like a signed photo.

3. Getting the cap signed again: It's your cap, and of course you should do what YOU want with it. If it were mine, I'd keep it as is. Given the assumption that this is Thomas's rookie cap and he has already signed it, probably around the time it was worn, I think it's perfect. You have a vintage signature on a vintage, worn cap, and the signature is on the place I prefer on a cap: underneath the brim. (I like game worn items to appear, for display purposes, exactly as they left the field, while placing any autographs in places that wouldn't have been seen by those watching the game, such as underneath the brim of a cap or down by the tags on a jersey. Different collectors have different preferences concerning this, and your preference is the one that counts for your item.) Overall, I think putting a modern signature on an item like this would detract from its vintage feel.

Comment

• stasman
                                • Dec 2011

Thanks icollectdcsports..good info and advise. I think I will keep it as is and bring it with me to the show.

Comment

Working...