Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How lazy are MLB auth. getting?

So what do you make of this authentication? This is really sad, but do you blame the team, the authenticator, or MLB? How can they classify this as game used......they obviously didn't see it come off his back in Dec., which game?, WHO?, when?, where?...... I hope this is not an indication of where MLB Authentication is headed. Yet, some teams do a fantastic job of authenticating. Wouldn't this have to be an "issued" jersey at best?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: How lazy are MLB auth. getting?

I know exactly what you mean. I just picked up a Salty bat that has this MLB Holo on it, but I went through every at-bat of the post season and it wasn't used during the playoff run.

Danger,
    Maybe they meant with post season items as in items authenticated post season?

Based on what I've been told by multiple team reps, the authentications of game used items after the fact- and in some cases months after the fact- are based on covert markings on the item at the time they were used. In many cases these items were also used in games after they were marked, but can only be officially authenticated as used to the game(s) they were marked. In this case with the Cards jersey, that is a pretty lazy description by the authenticator though, as I'm sure he could have at least put some more info in there- like player name, the game the item was marked etc.

Here's a great bit of info I got from the Cards about WS jerseys:

"The road jerseys used in WS Game #2 were not used solely for that game. To the best of my knowledge the road jerseys were only authenticated and/or covert marked for authentication following Game #2. We have come across non that were authenticated to any other game, including Game 6."

I have also noticed that some of the Cards' road World Series jerseys from 2013 have the authentication description of being used in the "2014 World Series". Unless they can time travel, this is another simple mistake and easy to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cruwet View Post
    Here's a great bit of info I got from the Cards about WS jerseys:

"The road jerseys used in WS Game #2 were not used solely for that game. To the best of my knowledge the road jerseys were only authenticated and/or covert marked for authentication following Game #2. We have come across non that were authenticated to any other game, including Game 6."

I have also noticed that some of the Cards' road World Series jerseys from 2013 have the authentication description of being used in the "2014 World Series". Unless they can time travel, this is another simple mistake and easy to correct.
    2014?....us Cardinal fans sure hope that is prophetic! Wonder what the process is for getting a correction? Who do you contact?

And why only auth after game 2? I'm really surprised at the lack of jerseys and bats authenticated for this years WS. Honestly, I have not seen one bat. Has anyone else? What about batting helmets? All of the road playoff Cards jerseys had auth, but it wasn't in the system when they were auctioned recently.

I've been wondering something similar with my Holliday WS jersey. It's authenticated to 2013 WS Game 4, but I'm thinking it could have been worn in Game 5 (a home run game) as well. Note that the MLB Authentication doesn't even spell his name right. It's a set 8.

Does anyone know if the Cardinals were issued two home WS jerseys?
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by flota89 View Post
    I've been wondering something similar with my Holliday WS jersey. It's authenticated to 2013 WS Game 4, but I'm thinking it could have been worn in Game 5 (a home run game) as well. Note that the MLB Authentication doesn't even spell his name right. It's a set 8.

Does anyone know if the Cardinals were issued two home WS jerseys?
    None of this makes any sense to me. The authenticators are there for one reason only....to authenticate these items at that particular game. We do know that MLB made the WS jerseys and not the team. I can safely assume at least 2 home, 2 road, and 2 alternate were made for each player in case a jersey malfunction during a game. However, I do know of three alternates of one player for sure. Also, all WS jerseys USED in a WS game were specially marked by MLB. This marking is not visible to the naked eye. Is it possible that the above jersey was marked for that game and authenticated later by checking the marking? Meaning he wore his other jersey in gm 3 and 5? This is the only theory that makes sense otherwise the auth date would not be Dec. Does anyone else know about any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    None of this makes any sense to me. The authenticators are there for one reason only....to authenticate these items at that particular game. We do know that MLB made the WS jerseys and not the team. I can safely assume at least 2 home, 2 road, and 2 alternate were made for each player in case a jersey malfunction during a game. However, I do know of three alternates of one player for sure. Also, all WS jerseys USED in a WS game were specially marked by MLB. This marking is not visible to the naked eye. Is it possible that the above jersey was marked for that game and authenticated later by checking the marking? Meaning he wore his other jersey in gm 3 and 5? This is the only theory that makes sense otherwise the auth date would not be Dec. Does anyone else know about any of this?
    Are the covert marking specific to a certain game and how do we know a jersey was marked for each and every game it was worn? Looks to me like these jerseys were marked once after a game, and authenticated after the season. It doesn't sound like there was any authenticating on jerseys done after each and every game, so any determination of when jerseys were worn besides the authentication game date is up to photomatching and research?

Quote Originally Posted by cruwet View Post
    Are the covert marking specific to a certain game and how do we know a jersey was marked for each and every game it was worn? Looks to me like these jerseys were marked once after a game, and authenticated after the season. It doesn't sound like there was any authenticating on jerseys done after each and every game, so any determination of when jerseys were worn besides the authentication game date is up to photomatching and research?
    I can't speak for any Sox jerseys, but Cards jerseys were auth specifically after NLCS gm 6 and WS gm 2 and 4 from what I've seen. There were some road postseason jerseys auth, but they do not show up in the system. I was told they were probably done during the NLCS as well. The jerseys that were auth to specific games do show obvious use although I was confused by the Wong WS gm 4 jersey that didn't show dirt stains on the front as he was picked off to end the game and did make contact with the ground. It all seems very haphazard to me at the most important games of the season.