Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Buyer Beware: "1981 Mike Scott Jersey" on ebay

All,

Avoid at all costs --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-MIKE-SC...item2ece2d2d76

This is NOT a game used 1981 Mike Scott Mets jersey. I have contacted the seller to inform him what this actually is, and there has been no response.

This jersey came from a set that BallPark Heroes purchased from the Mets organization. Kim told me that these were either minor league jerseys or a set that was produced to wear at Spring Training. My thoughts are that the jerseys were made up for 1981 Spring Training but were used in the minors instead, after blue BPs (home and road styles) debuted that same year and were worn by the team during ST. Kim has been listing these on ebay very steadily over the past several years, and very carefully states that these are NOT game worn new York Mets jerseys. He also prices them accordingly -- usually $100 or less.

The #30 road jersey was part of this set and sold on ebay. A little while later, it surfaces on Hunt Auction as a "Game Used 1981 Mike Scott jersey" -- quite the quantum leap!!! -- I notify their consignment director, who thanked me for the information but inadvertently forgot to take it down. She then informed me that she will notify the buyer of this jersey to tell him what the jersey actually is. A snipet from the actual email --
    Thank you again for your email. It was our error, we meant to pull it. We will contact the winning bidder and let him know what has transpired.

Now, it appears that the buyer of this jersey (who was informed by the auction house that it is not what he believed he purchased) is re-selling it on ebay with the same wrong description as it had in Hunt auction. Why he didn't return this jersey is beyond me... but it also appears that my attempt to contact him has the same effect as Hunt Auction's.

In a nutshell, a game used 1981 Mets jersey would have much different tagging (including the red Rawlings tag, and a year and set tag) attached. A 1981 Mets jersey would also have a much lower back number, a nameplate sewn above it with the player's last name (and if the nameplate had been stripped by the club like most were back in the day, there would be a stitch hole outline where a nameplate once was). Only minor league jerseys back then had numbers so high and no names on backs.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Re: Buyer Beware: "1981 Mike Scott Jersey" on ebay

Nice work Nick.

I also messaged him when I first saw the auction and never heard back either.