Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

BUYER BEWARE: Jim Kiick Memphis Southmen (WFL) Jerseys on Ebay

I hope that no one has placed bids on either of these jerseys currently on ebay thinking that they will be getting a game-worn jersey of Jim Kiick. These are autographed replica jerseys - nothing more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jim-Kiick-19...item417d23be41

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jim-Kiick-19...item417d23e131

These jerseys, along with home and road Larry Csonka jerseys with the same story, have been floating around the hobby for years. There are at least two sets of the Csonka jerseys in the hobby along with the above mentioned Kiick jerseys. It is well-known among WFL collectors that these jerseys are replicas. As a World Football League collector for nearly 40 years owning hundreds of jerseys and possessing a large collection of photos, game film, and other reference material, I (nor anyone else) has yet to find either Jim Kiick or Larry Csonka wearing this exact style of jersey either in game action or publicity photos. Csonka is the only Southmen seen wearing brown letters on an orange Memphis jersey (in several games), but that jersey is much different as there are no sleeve numbers, and the numbers on front and back are much smaller and screened-on.

In fairness to the Seller, he originally posted the jerseys as being game worn. He changed the listing (somewhat) after I presented him with a mountain of information and facts about Memphis jerseys. However, at least one collector corresponded with me thinking that the listing insinuates that the jerseys might be game worn (especially considering the "letter"), so I felt compelled to make this post. Regarding the letter, it has also been floating around the hobby with the jerseys. Never in the letter does it state that the jerseys were game-worn. Further, these jerseys have been turned downed by several auction houses over the past few years, and only Legendary Auctions ran them (May 2010 and again in 2012) despite begin presented evidence to the contrary and discussing with them on several occasions.

There are a lot of things "not right" about these jerseys which I hope to post more details this weekend in the Exceptionally Educational Threads section along with other useful information about WFL jerseys. Below are photos of what the real Jim Kiick jerseys should look like. Note that the white jersey is folded (not cut-off at the waist).

Feel free to contact if you have questions or need additional information.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: BUYER BEWARE: Jim Kiick Memphis Southmen (WFL) Jerseys on Ebay

Having problems loading the photos for some reason. Email me if you would like to see the photos.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mark, the handwritten letter didn't convince you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim65
    Mark, the handwritten letter didn't convince you?

The interesting thing about the letter shown in the ebay listing is that the letter I have seen in the past was much longer. Regardless, the "long version" of the letter is much like this shorter version in that the writer never claims the jerseys to be game worn. And even if they did, they would be incorrect.

As for the PSA/DNA authentication of both jerseys, J93289 and J93290, those who are thinking that this means that the jerseys have been authenticated as game worn might want to check out the PSA DNA website. Only the signatures were authenticated.

This is a classic example of one of the things that really bothers me about the hobby. When certain items get passed around a few times including listed in a major auction house or two with "authentication" from the auction house, fiction can quickly turn into fact. Once that happens, it is hard to set things straight and turn the fiction back to fact.

I feel for the poor soul who spent over $10 grand for one of the replica orange Csonka jerseys in an auction back in December 2004, especially knowing that Leland's Auction was selling one of the real orange Csonka jerseys in their auction running at the same time. Leland's Csonka jersey went for a little over $3,000.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Here are the photos mentioned in my original email.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  97.8 KB
    Name:  jersey-02.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  95.7 KB
    Name:  SOUTHMEN #55 - BEUTLER (1).jpg
Views: 396
Size:  163.2 KB