X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flamechicken
    • Jul 2010

Mcgriff 2001 Chicago Cubs GU Jerseys

Hi all,
    It's a little late as both of the auctions have ended, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on these two McGriff home Cubs jerseys.

They are very similar except for the fact that one is size 46 and the other is a size 50. Has anyone ever seen a player wear such a discrepancy in sizes of jerseys in one half of a season (McGriff was traded to the Cubs in July 2001.)

Historically, McGriff wore a 44 early in his career and a 46 later, I was not aware that he ever wore a size 50. I have a 2001 Rays jersey (photo-matched) that is a 46.

Mike
  • DeacDoug
    • Mar 2010

Re: Mcgriff 2001 Chicago Cubs GU Jerseys

Love the Crime Dog. I won the size 50. Funny that the Goldin photo shows the "c" in the nameplate high and the jersey has it low as do the other photos I saw. Not sure what to make of the size difference, but mid-season trades lead to strange jerseys. Perhaps Dave would comment on this as he OK'd my jersey. Guessing that the same guy owned both jerseys and dumped them in different auctions. Can the Crime Dog come back and hit the few homers he needs for 500 and possible HOF status?

Comment

• Flamechicken
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by DeacDoug
      Love the Crime Dog. I won the size 50. Funny that the Goldin photo shows the "c" in the nameplate high and the jersey has it low as do the other photos I saw. Not sure what to make of the size difference, but mid-season trades lead to strange jerseys. Perhaps Dave would comment on this as he OK'd my jersey. Guessing that the same guy owned both jerseys and dumped them in different auctions. Can the Crime Dog come back and hit the few homers he needs for 500 and possible HOF status?
      DeacDoug could you PM me when you get the chance.

Mike

Comment

• DeacDoug
        • Mar 2010

Mike, you can EMail me at BCBuckley@hotmail.com

Comment

• Flamechicken
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by DeacDoug
          Mike, you can EMail me at BCBuckley@hotmail.com
          I just sent an email.

Mike

Comment

• Phil316
            • May 2013

Interesting Cubs jersey. The inside wash tag from the Goldin auctions pictures looks new, so does the front Cubs crest and lower size 50 tag. The back name looks frayed and worn but little wear on the back numbers.

PLUS

Here is a McGriff home dodgers jersey from 2003 (2 years after he played with the cubs). Comes with a Dodgers Team COA. It is a size 46.

I think the Goldin Fred McGriff is bad. I would be returning that one.

Comment

• Chess2899
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Phil316
              Interesting Cubs jersey. The inside wash tag from the Goldin auctions pictures looks new, so does the front Cubs crest and lower size 50 tag. The back name looks frayed and worn but little wear on the back numbers.

PLUS

Here is a McGriff home dodgers jersey from 2003 (2 years after he played with the cubs). Comes with a Dodgers Team COA. It is a size 46.

I think the Goldin Fred McGriff is bad. I would be returning that one.
              Size does matter.

Comment

• slab0meat
                • May 2010

The first thing I noticed, which was mentioned, was the the "C" is low on the jersey, but high in the photo. That tells you something right there.

And for what it's worth, which might be very little, I have a used BP jersey of his, when he was with Tampa Bay, and it's a size 46.

Comment

• Phil316
                  • May 2013

All the Fred McGriffs I have seen have been 44 and 46.

Comment

• Flamechicken
                    • Jul 2010

Here is an updated link to the Huggins and Scott auction:

Comment

• Phil316
                      • May 2013

I am confused. Dave signed off on both home 2001 jersey's but both are sized different?

The one in Huggins looks good to me.

Dave should definitely chime in here.

Comment

• Flamechicken
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by slab0meat
                        The first thing I noticed, which was mentioned, was the the "C" is low on the jersey, but high in the photo. That tells you something right there.

And for what it's worth, which might be very little, I have a used BP jersey of his, when he was with Tampa Bay, and it's a size 46.
                        I took a look at photos on Getty, the Cubs placed the "C" high and low during the 2001 season, which is interesting. Why change?

Mike

Comment

• DeacDoug
                          • Mar 2010

This discussion motivated me to finally open the Fred box. Dave inspected the jersey 12/30/13 and states that "the jersey exhibits evidence of light game use and appears to be all original."

The jersey does look very fresh to me, but I am no expert on determining wear where not obvious. The jersey does have as good a Crime Dog autograph as you'll ever get.

Comment

• DeacDoug
                            • Mar 2010

A review of the photo showing McGriff wearing the size 46 jersey reveals that it is too short for him.

Comment

• jbean023
                              • Nov 2011

First off, does anyone know who won the Huggins jersey?

The one on Goldin had me scratching my head, I do believe it's good just maybe for a game or two to experiment. My first thoughts with seeing the set tag having a missing number was it was his Cubs debut jersey. Cubs debut jerseys I've seen with no set tags, set tags with numbers that don't match at all, and some that are the normal strip tag. I looked and this jersey does not match the debut jersey. I would say the collectors comments about being to short is good possibility. I collect different teams and a sz 50 for one team isn't the same sz 50 for another. Dave will chime in with his thoughts but those are mine.

Comment

Working...