Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Why So Much???

Question Why So Much???

As an Astros' fan, I'm struggling to figure out why this Cody Clark jersey went for $725 on eBay. Like many people, I rooted for this journeyman, as he got probably his only shot at Big League Baseball. But I still can't comprehend the exorbitant price. Why would anyone pay this much for Clark's jersey? Any ideas?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Re: Why So Much???

Maybe he was buying back his own jersey

I think it could just be a bidding war situation. If two people want a jersey bad enough and have funds to spare they may go at it. I have certainly overpaid for an item due to another person having interest and me not being willing to budge from the item.

Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
    I think it could just be a bidding war situation. If two people want a jersey bad enough and have funds to spare they may go at it. I have certainly overpaid for an item due to another person having interest and me not being willing to budge from the item.
    Hah, 1 of the 1st auctions I did online I might have been drinking a little bit before hand so that just magnified that sort of attitude. I waaaay overpaid for some things.

In the end though, I know I've overpaid for things beyond just that auction and as long as its something I really want, I'm ok with it. I have some Kobe Bryant shoes that don't have any real historical value, just a regular pair of game worn shoes that I'll never be able to get my money back no matter what his career finishes like. At best I could probably get half. I'm cool with it though, because he is my favorite current Laker and 1 of my top 4 favorite players in any sport all time.

that being said, Kobe is a bit different than a feel good story journeyman I'd say like been stated, probably just some people who let emotions get the best of them. Or maybe his mom.......

It was just weird seeing the price more than double in the final minutes. I rooted for Clark, the journeyman, as did everybody else. But, I am never so overcome with emotion to bid $725 on a shirt of a guy who will never again see a Big League clubhouse. Does scarcity impact a price that much?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I think the scarcity would matter more if it had been a championship team but it was the first year in the al and also new look so maybe the person is putting together a collection

People spend there money very differently then others and maybe the person got a ball thrown to them by the player or there is some emotional attachment so they feel it is worth it. I would overpay for a Jeff Francoeur item because he was so nice to me on a personal level. I would spend more money on his stuff then more valuable items that people would see as more rational spending

Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanjd View Post
    People spend there money very differently then others and maybe the person got a ball thrown to them by the player or there is some emotional attachment so they feel it is worth it. I would overpay for a Jeff Francoeur item because he was so nice to me on a personal level. I would spend more money on his stuff then more valuable items that people would see as more rational spending
    Exactly. And for what its worth, the winning bidder on that Clark jersey has zero feedback and is a new Ebay member.

Banned

Wink Re: Why So Much???

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    As an Astros' fan, I'm struggling to figure out why this Cody Clark jersey went for $725 on eBay. Like many people, I rooted for this journeyman, as he got probably his only shot at Big League Baseball. But I still can't comprehend the exorbitant price. Why would anyone pay this much for Clark's jersey? Any ideas?
    Maybe the guy who sells the $5000 Albert Pujols home run balls thinks he can get 10 grand for this...?

Dave Miedema