Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: modify extra points?

I have forever disliked the 'kicking' game in general in football....
    I sit in disbelief to how some of these NFL coaches get away with some of the conservative calls they make, punting from the opponents 34-37 yard line only to watch the punter sail it into the end zone for the whopping
    14 yard gain..

I tell anyone that would listen to me my idea...

Give each team 5 'kicks' that they can use during the game....

If it is 4 and 33 from your own 8, well, a punt would be in order...kick
    now you are down to 4....you can actually see teams go for it on 4 & 5
    from the 49 instead of the boring punt, 4 and 20 form the 29, ok, kick a field goal, that would take away another kick....I think it may create some pretty cool drama and let the 22 guys that play 99pct of the game be the
    deciding factor (in most cases, as obviously, the game winning fg is still very much in play)

that is my idea and two cents....

eliminating the extra point is all they can come up with ? really ?
    If they want to make the extra point interesting via kick, make this rule..
    someone from the 11 players on the scoring play (offense or defense) must kick the extra pont......"and here is Tom Brady to attempt the extra point"

I think they should quit fiddling and leave things alone. I'm tired of changes that make comparing records from the past increasingly non-applicable.

Why would anyone want to turn the game into something it isn't? If you don't like the rules of football, invent another game, make it "perfect", and then every year you can "tweak" it to your hearts' content.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    I think they should quit fiddling and leave things alone. I'm tired of changes that make comparing records from the past increasingly non-applicable.

Why would anyone want to turn the game into something it isn't? If you don't like the rules of football, invent another game, make it "perfect", and then every year you can "tweak" it to your hearts' content.
    Couldn't agree more... Leave the $@?! game alone Goodell!

In my lifetime (I'm 65 now) football's already made major changes that render comparisons with the past nearly impossible. I've seen the NFL move the goal posts from the goal line to the end line, and add the 2-point conversion. Football has changed penalties significantly. I've seen the two-platoon system replace the old play-both-ways days. Now field goals are becoming far more routine than they were even 15 years ago, so change is bound to become needed in that area.

Basketball's also changed dramatically in my lifetime, with the addition of 3-point goals and the shot clock, and the elimination of most jump balls. All these things make statistical comparisons with the past problematic, but change can't be prevented as the sports themselves evolve.

In my prior post, I forgot to mention that free throws have also been significantly reduced, as they once were given on all fouls (even non-shooting first fouls of the half.) The possession arrow didn't exist as jump balls were held about 8 times a game on average. Those jump balls were usually done at the free-throw lines.

Even baseball, the most conservative sport in changing rules, has had so many changes in playing conditions ( such as eliminating the white-only code that existed into the 1940's, that prevented some of the best players from playing in MLB), that direct statistical comparisons across eras must be done critically.

Rule changes happen, but my opinion is, the fewer the better.

Eliminating the extra point seems pretty stupid. I was unaware of this idea until reading these posts.

I might be willing to add a two-point try as a kick from 40-50 yards. You can also have the two point be an attempt from the 2 yard line like it current is for the run/pass option. Eliminating the extra point seems pretty stupid.

Chris

It's no more stupid than moving the kickoff up 10 yards and kicking the ball out of the end zone on nearly every kickoff to eliminate run backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    It's no more stupid than moving the kickoff up 10 yards and kicking the ball out of the end zone on nearly every kickoff to eliminate run backs.
    I understand where you are coming from. However, the big difference is that the NFL is taking a stand with the safety of the players (concussions). With a kick return, there is a lot more of a chance of injury. With the lawsuit from past players, the NFL doing the kickoff change made more sense from that perspective. An extra point attempt rarely (if ever) has any injuries occur.

I am not arguing or even disagreeing with you; I am just making the point on the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. However, the big difference is that the NFL is taking a stand with the safety of the players (concussions). With a kick return, there is a lot more of a chance of injury. With the lawsuit from past players, the NFL doing the kickoff change made more sense from that perspective. An extra point attempt rarely (if ever) has any injuries occur.

I am not arguing or even disagreeing with you; I am just making the point on the difference.
    Good points.