Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Masahiro Tanaka - MLB Authenticated First...

Is it just me or is it just a little excessive that MLB actually doing this?

Don't get me wrong here - I am a big Yankees fan and would love nothing more to get my hand on one of these since they will be the most affordable MLB Authenticated jersey for Tanaka.

I am hoping that he is the best thing since slice bread - but really MLB?

Name:  Tanaka_jersey_1st_copy.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  223.3 KB
    First jersey EVER produced

Name:  Tanaka_jersey_1st_copy.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  223.3 KB
    First of 19 ever produced

Name:  Tanaka_jersey_1st_100_copy.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  226.0 KB
    First of 100 ever produced

I wondering if I have to donate blood, sell my kidney and maybe sell of an arm or a limp to get his FIRST game used jersey.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Masahiro Tanaka - MLB Authenticated First...

Quote Originally Posted by marino13 View Post
    Is it just me or is it just a little excessive that MLB actually doing this?

Don't get me wrong here - I am a big Yankees fan and would love nothing more to get my hand on one of these since they will be the most affordable MLB Authenticated jersey for Tanaka.

I am hoping that he is the best thing since slice bread - but really MLB?

Attachment 83024
    First jersey EVER produced

Attachment 83024
    First of 19 ever produced

Attachment 83025
    First of 100 ever produced

I wondering if I have to donate blood, sell my kidney and maybe sell of an arm or a limp to get his FIRST game used jersey.
    I just think this is part of MLB's money making strategy. Most of the game used jerseys are overpriced. If the money was going to charity, that would be one thing, but htese jerseys cost too much money with questionable return on investment. Remember Hideo Nomo? His game used 1995 All Star jersey went for $10,000. Would you pay that today?

Why does it seem to me like mlb is steering the game used/memorabilia markets down the same road as trading cards.

Quote Originally Posted by kellsox View Post
    Why does it seem to me like mlb is steering the game used/memorabilia markets down the same road as trading cards.
    Because they are.

To add you are better off investing in an older star player than most current players. I can only imagine how many Harper gamers have hit the market or will hit the market this year or any star player for that matter. It's kinda sad if you are looking to invest or even if you collect a a certain top tier player. The thing is there will be people plunking down thousands to own a Harper or a Thanka.

Tanaka sorry.

I agree MLB is slowly killing the goose. I for one am getting a little tired or it.

Completely agree that there will be an over saturation of Harper jerseys. If I were in the market, I'd wait. It seems they're releasing one of his every three weeks. And you still have 15 years of his jerseys to come. Kind of like the jets jerseys.

My favorite is the ad that runs on mlb.com for mlb auctions that says "invest in history "( or something along those lines). Anyone that is buying is going to be disappointed if investment is their plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    Because they are.
    It's getting pretty bad with some teams. The Mariners have their "stars" wear shirt after shirt, to the point where it's pretty pathetic. For example, the M's authenticated Dustin Ackley jerseys for April 8, 9, and 10, 2013. I sort of understand the first one, because that was the M's home opener. But the rest, questionable.

Thank goodness, some teams still sell pounded jerseys. One of my 2013 Astros jerseys was worn for the entire season. But then again, we weren't talking about a star, in this case.

The whole "piece of history" thing is a joke. And some of the milestones that teams keep track of are hardly significant, in the whole scheme of things.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    It's getting pretty bad with some teams. The Mariners have their "stars" wear shirt after shirt, to the point where it's pretty pathetic. For example, the M's authenticated Dustin Ackley jerseys for April 8, 9, and 10, 2013. I sort of understand the first one, because that was the M's home opener. But the rest, questionable.

Thank goodness, some teams still sell pounded jerseys. One of my 2013 Astros jerseys was worn for the entire season. But then again, we weren't talking about a star, in this case.

The whole "piece of history" thing is a joke. And some of the milestones that teams keep track of are hardly significant, in the whole scheme of things.
    I enjoy when $20 baseballs turn into $150 baseballs just cause some player got their first hit or home run that day.(yah I'm looking at you Orioles)