Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: MLB Jerseys

MLB Jerseys

I was looking up a bunch of jerseys I recently saw for sale that were MLB authenticated ... are these seriously only worn 1 or 2 games ? That means they go through 75-80 jerseys a year ? Is this true ? I know there have been posts they over do things but this is crazy !!

Re: MLB Jerseys

I think it really all depends on the team, player and the circumstances. I have Rockies jerseys that are just hammered with use and then I know of situations where they have one use jerseys like opening day or specialty jerseys and throwbacks.
    Always looking for Noah Syndergaard, Charlie Blackmon, Jordan Pacheco & Kenneth Faried items, thx!

SFGiants already sold their road trip jerseys from the past week...i think worn for about 6 games

Game used is a big business for MLB. You are gonna start seeing a flood of jerseys from star players (if we haven't already) in my opinion. As we discussed previously in another thread this is gonna severely saturate the market. Some of us feel it is heading in the direction like the sports card market.

I have 2 Pirate post season jerseys that were worn in 2 games total (1 regular game 1 post season game) Now they have road jerseys for sale that are only 1 gamers.

I think that, overall, the saturation we are seeing is good for the hobby because it will make game worn jerseys more attainable to a larger portion of the fan base, which should expand the market as a whole. However, as there was in the game used card market, people getting in early (e.g., now) are likely to have some resentment as market prices tumble. I am speaking only with regards to baseball.

Personally, I would be uncomfortable owning game worn jerseys from any current star players (from an investment, not a collector, standpoint).

Similar to the card market, I also believe this will drive up the value of jerseys worn by HOF-caliber players who retired before the flood, as collectors tend to flock toward scarcity. It will likely also help the values of unique pieces (milestone/playoffs).

[quote=esquiresports;353497]I think that, overall, the saturation we are seeing is good for the hobby because it will make game worn jerseys more attainable to a larger portion of the fan base, which should expand the market as a whole. However, as there was in the game used card market, people getting in early (e.g., now) are likely to have some resentment as market prices tumble. I am speaking only with regards to baseball.

Personally, I would be uncomfortable owning game worn jerseys from any current star players (from an investment, not a collector, standpoint).

Similar to the card market, I also believe this will drive up the value of jerseys worn by HOF-caliber players who retired before the flood, as collectors tend to flock toward scarcity. It will likely also help the values of unique pieces (milestone/playoffs).[/quote]

That would be correct. The old stuff resurfaces with more value.

If a ML team can buy a set of jerseys for 40 bucks and sell them after a road trip for a profit why not?....soon they wont have to launder them and save more money.....collectors love them smelly....

Quote Originally Posted by flaco1801 View Post
    If a ML team can buy a set of jerseys for 40 bucks and sell them after a road trip for a profit why not?....soon they wont have to launder them and save more money.....collectors love them smelly....
    As far as I have been told, teams pay $130 for a jersey straight from Majestic.
    Always looking for Noah Syndergaard, Charlie Blackmon, Jordan Pacheco & Kenneth Faried items, thx!