Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Game used when player doesn't play.

What's the community's general view on game used items, particularly jerseys, authenticated as game used but the player doesn't play in the game. An example would be a relief pitcher who sit in the bullpen and isn't called to pitch.

Should these items still sell at the same value as a jersey where the player plays? Do collectors find value in them items or prefer to stay away from them? Input appreciated, thanks!

Re: Game used when player doesn't play.

In my mind, if a players doesn't play it is not game used.

I will not buy an item a player wore sitting in the dugout the whole game.

The way MLB authenticates jerseys as attributed to one game just because they picked it up after that one game is flawed. Most players wear jerseys over a few games or weeks or months and the jersey may have actually been worn in a game (except in cases of players known to wear customized jerseys during games like Pedro Martinez).

So the value goes down because this link was made for the sake of authentication in my opinion. However if the game was a special event (ie ASG, WS, no-hitter) I would consider paying a premium especially if the jersey had special tagging or patches.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

The issue of a lack of accepted terminology comes up in various threads at times. My view is that a reliever who sits in the bullpen has "game-ready"equipment, and a ball that doesn't leave the umpire's bucket was "game-ready". Things like locker tags, dugout lineup cards, and practice-only balls are "team-used."

But others use different terms. Sellers typically use "game-used" for all of the above.

It is game worn .. just not game used ... some people collect for the player , some for significance . I have a Tony Sanchez wildcard game jersey that he did not play in ... but it was his and he did wear it during that game. And like others said , he probably wore it in another game before that.

Are game worn and game used two different terms as Lunytune2 mentioned? That could create confusion when a team LOA says game used when it was just game worn by a player.

It would be so much easier if there was an industry standard for game memorabilia. But while a team or reputable sellers may follow the standards there will be many sellers that would write the description just to make the sale.

As a standard I personally would like to see something along these lines,

Game Used: Worn by players during game action.

Game Worn: Worn by players during warm up or while on the bench.

Game/Team Issued: Issued by the team for the intent of game action but never worn by the player at any point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiSportsNut View Post
    It would be so much easier if there was an industry standard for game memorabilia. But while a team or reputable sellers may follow the standards there will be many sellers that would write the description just to make the sale.

As a standard I personally would like to see something along these lines,

Game Used: Worn by players during game action.

Game Worn: Worn by players during warm up or while on the bench.

Game/Team Issued: Issued by the team for the intent of game action but never worn by the player at any point.
    How about when MLB Authenticated describes a jersey as game used while it was only game worn?

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    How about when MLB Authenticated describes a jersey as game used while it was only game worn?
    That is why there has to be an industry standard. I have bought a jersey as game used according to the MLB Authentication when I know for a fact that the player did not see any game action. The standards has to start from the MLB, NHL or the NFL to make it all work out. Unless they take the lead it will be extremely hard for it to work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiSportsNut View Post
    That is why there has to be an industry standard. I have bought a jersey as game used according to the MLB Authentication when I know for a fact that the player did not see any game action. The standards has to start from the MLB, NHL or the NFL to make it all work out. Unless they take the lead it will be extremely hard for it to work.
    This is why the buyer needs to do there homework before buying !