Fake Rawlings Official Major League Baseball (ROMLB) ? ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bhawk2
    • Jan 2014

Re: Fake Rawlings Official Major League Baseball (ROMLB) ? ?

In response to Sportsnbikes' comment about replica early baseballs (early 1900s) - who is making these? Is there an easy way to tell them from a real antique baseball? It's great that they are listed now as replicas, but what about the next time? I like the old balls, but I don't buy them now because I don't know if they are real or not.

Comment

• sportsnbikes
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bhawk2
      In response to Sportsnbikes' comment about replica early baseballs (early 1900s) - who is making these? Is there an easy way to tell them from a real antique baseball? It's great that they are listed now as replicas, but what about the next time? I like the old balls, but I don't buy them now because I don't know if they are real or not.
      According to the listing, there is a stamped "replica" that can only be seen with a blacklight. That's all fine and dandy but what happens when someone figures out how to get rid of that stamp? I am not sure who is making them but there are several listed on eBay.

Comment

• Roady
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by sportsnbikes
        According to the listing, there is a stamped "replica" that can only be seen with a blacklight. That's all fine and dandy but what happens when someone figures out how to get rid of that stamp? I am not sure who is making them but there are several listed on eBay.
        The stitching is usually a give away.
        Compare the stitching to real examples. Most of the replica stitching is larger and will be more raised than the real ones.

Comment

• xpress34
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Roady
          The stitching is usually a give away.
          Compare the stitching to real examples. Most of the replica stitching is larger and will be more raised than the real ones.
          Agreed. I own about 6 pre 1933 balls and the thread used for the stitching appears thinner and is more 'pressed' into the ball.

Comment

Working...