Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gwynn Auction Jersey help?

Hi guys, I need some help. There is a 1999 Tony Gwynn away jersey for sale but comparing it to another one i saw they look a bit different. One the San Diego is much bigger across the front and the other is smaller. Also the "D" in Diego are in different locations on each jersey. Most Gwynn Jerseys see from this year has the San Diego in bigger letters and has the "D" in the middle. The Gwynn with the smaller San Diego lettering comes with a Gwynn COA though. Any thoughts?? Here are the two different Jerseys both with the 1999 patch. Any change they both could be games used/worn? This would be my first game used Jersey and I don;t want to mess up.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/lot-27403.aspx

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1999-...-LOT28211.aspx

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Gywnn Auction Jersey help?

I like the SCP jersey, it looks like one of the many that Gwynn and his wife, Alicia, marketed in that er after he got a hit wearing it. GFC's, not so much. Size 52 is not something I've seen with Gwynn, while the first one has his normal size (50). Also, I agree that the front font is off on the GFC item.

Dave Miedema

Re: Gywnn Auction Jersey help?

I have a Gwynn jersey used in 1998 with LOA from his wife. Font is the smaller font. Size is 50. I have The last jersey Gwynn wore in 2001. It is also size 50.

Interestingly, the letter spacing on my jersey is more like the GF version, but the GF font still looks larger than the photo of the front that I have. I have the jersey displayed with the back facing. I will try to take a closer look later if I can. It I s a bit tricky to remove.

Thanks for your responses guys. I've seen both the smaller San Diego and larger San Diego Gwynn jerseys both with different spacing for those years. I've researched other Padres with that same jersey and they all seem to have the a larger San Diego across the front. Any chance that Gwynn ordered his own jerseys to wear and that is why they differ?

Mike, I couldn't get the jersey out without messing up the display (it's complicated), but here is a photo of the jersey I picked up. Maybe it's the large font after all. To answer your question about Tony's jerseys sometimes looking different, I imagine the team was only willing to supply him with a given number. After that he had to pay himself.

Quote Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
    I have a Gwynn jersey used in 1998 with LOA from his wife. Font is the smaller font. Size is 50. I have The last jersey Gwynn wore in 2001. It is also size 50.
    Last road jersey? His last 2001 jersey was a blue alt.

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    Last road jersey? His last 2001 jersey was a blue alt.
    I have the 1998 jersey (road alternate) to go with Tony's game used items when he passed Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (July 4, 1998).

I also have the full jersey from his final game in 2001, which is the alternate navy blue style.

Quote Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
    I also have the full jersey from his final game in 2001, which is the alternate navy blue style.
    Very cool. Have you posted that one on here? Love to see a pic!

[apologies for slightly derailing thread]

Re: Gwynn Auction Jersey help?

Nice jersey! Thanks for posting it. I'd love to see the Alt Blue one as well.