Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Email Exchange Courtesy

This kind of stuff used to bother me, but I got over it quick. The nature of this hobby and the advent of forums just makes it easy to be rude. You don't have to ask buyers and sellers questions to their face, so why do you have to be a model citizen? Sucks, but true.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MarlinsFan1993 View Post
    Hey guys just wanted to see how you all feel about this topic. I realize it may seem a bit petty but it's happened to me on enough occasions that it irks me.

Whenever someone emails me about a game used item, be it to ask about buying it, wanting to know more info, etc. I always answer the email and do my best provide the best information. What irks me, is that at times once you answer that first email most folks never reply back even with a simple thank you. The most upsetting part is that most often times the initial email is the emailer asking for something. To me it's just a simple notion of common courtesy, if you ask for something of someone have the decency to thank them after you have received your response.

Am I wrong in expecting a follow up response after I have provide a reply to an email? (Which most often is in response to someone contacting me and asking me about an item)

Lastly this post is not directed at anyone in particular as I have had the scenario happen to me on several occasions... But if the shoe fits, run a marathon in it
    In today's "It's all about me." society, the issue and question you have raised are not surprising. Sadly, the practice of common courtesy has become a thing of the past.

I think we have all been guilty of this, people are busy or just forget.

What bothers me is when someone has my money then ignores my communications.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
    I think we have all been guilty of this, people are busy or just forget.

What bothers me is when someone has my money then ignores my communications.
    That bothers me too.

I got a little tacky with the dude who listed the football stuff in the classifieds, specifically the Rams Harris helmet, and wouldn't even take a couple of seconds out of his day to respond to the many messages I sent him asking if it was still available. If you are going to list something for sale, please include your email address and then have the courtesy to respond. Also, on the flip side, I have had potential buyers ask for pictures and ask me to drop the price (which most of the time I will do) and then not bother to respond. I can understand losing interest or maybe while negotiating a better deal came along, but it only takes a few seconds to respond to the seller. If several people are interested in the same item, I will sell it to the first person who sends payment. I have learned the hard way that just because someone tells you they want the item and promises to send payment not everyone is honest and true to their word.

Esteban, I feel your pain. I happen to feel obligated to send a reply to emails I receive just because I was taught it was polite and proper etiquette to do so.

I know how busy I am, I can imagine other people who are collectors as a hobby have limited time to dedicate to replying, sending photos etc. Sure, it makes sense to be responsive when selling something, however, it also takes less than 3 seconds to hit reply and type, "Thanks, but I will pass" or "I'll take it" or "Thanks, I'll think about it."

Admittedly, you, Esteban, are my sole chance at getting Matt Diaz jerseys from Marlins FanFest so here's a preemptive "Thank you, sir"
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    Esteban, I feel your pain. I happen to feel obligated to send a reply to emails I receive just because I was taught it was polite and proper etiquette to do so.

I know how busy I am, I can imagine other people who are collectors as a hobby have limited time to dedicate to replying, sending photos etc. Sure, it makes sense to be responsive when selling something, however, it also takes less than 3 seconds to hit reply and type, "Thanks, but I will pass" or "I'll take it" or "Thanks, I'll think about it."
    My thoughts exactly Gingi. I always respond to every email I get which is usually someone wanting to purchase an item I displayed in the monthly pick up threads. I will say this though... I do remember those who haven't shown me the same courtesy I showed them and no longer give them the courtesy of a response or follow up. I guess that's my vindictive side getting the better of me