Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

eBay buyers asking questions.

Has anyone else had eBay members message you selling a item asking stupid questions or make stupid comments or try telling what price you should be selling your item at.

I listed a game used ball on eBay and I've had two people so far telling me my price is way to high(listed it as a make a offer). Then one guy is saying it could be a batting practice ball even though the mlb hologram states game used ball. And the other guy was saying I'm trying to rip people off with my over price(yet all his items in his store are overpriced).

Just don't understand why people waste others time with these types of questions or telling you what you should be selling a item for.

Re: eBay buyers asking questions.

It's because they want it but they don't want to pay your price.

Yeah people on eBay and craigslist can be pretty worthless. I always get a lot of emails asking if I'd accept some really low ball offer.

If you hold out, you'll usually get a fair offer, but it does suck dealing with some people.

In my selling experiences on ebay when i get a dumb question or comment I quickly add those people to the blocked bidder/buyer list. To go one step further there is an option to block people from contacting you that you have added to the blocked bidder/buyer list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by genius View Post
    It's because they want it but they don't want to pay your price.
    That is exactly what they're doing. No question. If they don't wanna pay your price, they can walk away. Breaking news... people are weird. Haha.

I have a guy now who wants to trade with me. He keeps trying to trade me his Sammy Sosa signed rawlings bat for my mike trout. Then every time I say no thanks he tries dropping baseball cards on me.

Glad I'm not the only one this is happening to. I had a signed ball up for sale for $55. Got an offer of $5. I countered with $45 and got another counter back for $7.50. Ridiculous.

I had someone message me on eBay offer me 40-45% below what I had an item listed for (auction format). I told him no, so he sent me his number and upped his offer a little. After Google searching the number, I found he's a GUU member. Anyway, I emailed the address he posts with here, explaining that I couldn't go lower than $550+$15 shipping, which was $100 off what I had the item up for on eBay. He texts me that he has to think about it and is going to bed.

The next day (today), he messages that he'll take it, so I send him an invoice on Paypal for the item. He texts me that he'll pay for the item in an hour, since he's at work. Two hours later, he messages me asking if I have other game used items for sale. I say not really. I then tell him that if he should pay the invoice within the hour so I can get the item shipped out. He responds that he doesn't want it, because it's too much and says to lower the price. I consider what his offers were, and how he mentioned a similar (but with less actual provenance) item sold for $575. He also mentioned that he liked a certain player. I happened to have a PSA authenticated signed minor league card of that player. Same card has sold on eBay for $199.99 BIN and $299.99 Best offer accepted, recently. (Two cards that were verified as sold.) So, I told him I'd do $700 shipped for the item and card, thinking it's better to salvage a deal and give him a good deal on the card (about 25% off the low end sales on eBay). He says okay, meaning he'll think about it. He gets back to me 20 min before my local post will close and says $625 out the door, I'll pay now. So, in essence, he wants the item for his original offer price and the card for half of what it sells for on eBay.

I told him the card was off the table, since I was doing that as a way of salvaging a deal. I also stated that I was insulted that he'd think I'd be stupid enough to accept his low-ball offer on the item and half of what the card sells for on eBay (not asking price, but recorded sales). He responded that I shouldn't be so emotional and business is business.

Personally, I don't think of it as business, since this is a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. That's why I thought it was better to make an offer than burn a bridge. I don't understand why someone would tell me to invoice them, and then just decide not to pay the invoice without even telling me why. It's simply rude, and it made me very disappointed that it was a GUU member who did it.

Interesting post Dane.

Most times, I'm just trying to recoup what I originally paid for. Someone once said to me that I am trying to dictate the market. I wish I had that power.