Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hines Ward GU Superbowl Helmet in HA

I was just checking out the new Heritage auction...they have some high priced helmets up for auction. I have already stated earlier that some people are skeptical these days when they see a "JO Sports Co LOA". I'm not saying they are automatically bad, but people seem to do EXTRA research when they see the name.

I might be missing something with the Hines Ward GU Superbowl XLIII helmet, but without doing much research, it has the wrong chinstrap and wrong side clips. Would anyone be able to explain these discrepancies? It seems hard for me to think that Hines would be unscrewing the upper snaps, changing the chinstrap, screwing the snaps back on, then taking off his side clips, and changing them with others?

Name:  Hines+Ward+Super+Bowl+XLIII+S7FUOFEvax4x.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  139.1 KB

Name:  hines.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  37.2 KB

Re: Hines Ward GU Superbowl Helmet in HA

What I immediately found unusual about this and the jersey from the game is that neither is annotated as "game used" by Ward, which he has done in the past when he actually used items.

As far as the comparative pictures are concerned, in addition to the items pointed out by jhunt28, the spacing below the "6" on the front of the helmet appears to be bigger in the game photo than on the auction photo, although the different angles make it difficult to say so definitely.

Putting the two together, I would venture to say that it sounds like there may have been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line.

Just my thoughts.

You have to be careful when judging a helmet by identifiers because they can change, be removed and put back, etc. I've dismissed a lot of Steeler helmets that turned out to be good because the stickers were off for example, but the stickers had only been replaced. This one is interesting though because it was obviously the last game of the season. Could have been used in 2009 and then "restored" to Super Bowl graphics. Still, wouldn't be surprised if...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm very aware that decals are replaced throughout the year, as they get torn, ripped, etc. But when you tell me a players helmet is from the Superbowl, and still has the Superbowl XLIII decal on the rear of the helmet, I'm going to assume I'm being made to believe this was worn in the Superbowl. And when what that player wore is completely different from the helmet being sold (different chinstrap and sideclips), I'm just saying that it makes me skeptical.

I don't see how it can be the same helmet and the jersey doesn't match either. pretty sure the shirt is a backup.

If you look at the photo jhunt posted, the seam on the left shoulder of the jersey goes in between the 2 black stripes and into the white.
    In this photo, you can see the seam goes into the yellow under the black line. Not worth the 3500 its at even with auto.
    Name:  he.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  39.9 KB

Could this possibly be the helmet and got a misleading inscription that JO sold as more than it really was? Seems more like just an inscription like you would get from a World Series winner on a baseball than authentication of game it was worn.

Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

shoot, "possibly be this helmet" not "the helmet"
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Here is a photo from the game and the photo of the back of the helmet that is in the auction. Warning label is way off in my opinion for starters. American flag is not in the same location.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by perlman9 View Post
    Could this possibly be the helmet and got a misleading inscription that JO sold as more than it really was? Seems more like just an inscription like you would get from a World Series winner on a baseball than authentication of game it was worn.

This pic has been massively photoshopped...They took out the upper snaps that secure his chinstrap in this card photo. Also the chinstrap is the Adams gel like he wore in the Superbowl, not the Adams foam cup like in the Heritage Auction. Also the clips in the card photo are the same that he wore in the Superbowl, but they have been tampered with a bit in the air brushed card version.

At least that's what it looks like to me...I'm ready to move on though. I clearly won't be spending my money on this...hopefully whoever does enjoys the helmet.