Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

Bidders Premium?

Excuse my ignorance, but I've never bid on anything from an auction house. Why is there a Bidders Premium? I win an auction for $1,500 and have to pay and additional Bidders Premium of $200+? What for?
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~
  • danesei@yahoo.com
    • Feb 2014

Re: Bidders Premium?

Originally posted by 3arod13
    Excuse my ignorance, but I've never bid on anything from an auction house. Why is there a Bidders Premium? I win an auction for $1,500 and have to pay and additional Bidders Premium of $200+? What for?
    It allows the auction house to market its services as being paid for by the buyer, instead of the seller. It really doesn't make a difference, but it does seem to attract more consignments.

Comment

• emann
      • Nov 2008

Essentially, between the seller's premium and/or buyer's premium, this is how the auctioneers make their money.

eBay does a similar thing if you've ever sold thru there, they only charge the seller though, so if you're only buying you might not notice.

If you read the auction rules before bidding, it helps to do the math to figure out the premiums beforehand as they vary from house to house.

Comment

• jesusbestdeals97
        Banned
        • Apr 2014

The bidders premium is there so that the auction house makes money, that is their form of making money, they auction off thousands to millions of items and they each have a buyer's premium..

Comment

• 3arod13
          • Apr 2006

Sellers premium I understand. Buyers premium I don't! Thanks for taking time to respond!!
          Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by 3arod13
            Sellers premium I understand. Buyers premium I don't! Thanks for taking time to respond!!
            Just think of it as a 35% seller's premium, of which, the buyer is responsible for 20%.

Comment

• yankees506
              • Apr 2010

Tony, I've always felt they charge a buyers premium so that they are able to attract more consignments. The Attraction there is that the seller gets exactly what the item sold for, and the action house makes their money off of the buyer. They figure if you wanted the item bad enough to bid on it you will pay the premium

Comment

• PwKw13
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by yankees506
                Tony, I've always felt they charge a buyers premium so that they are able to attract more consignments. The Attraction there is that the seller gets exactly what the item sold for, and the action house makes their money off of the buyer.
                Don't the auction houses normally charge a consignment fee to the seller so that they get less than the item sold for? I believe they actually make money off of both the buyer (buyer's premium) and seller (consignment fee).

Comment

• gorilla777
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by PwKw13
                  Don't the auction houses normally charge a consignment fee to the seller so that they get less than the item sold for? I believe they actually make money off of both the buyer (buyer's premium) and seller (consignment fee).
                  Yes, most of the time there is a commission.
                  So I consign something with 10% commission, that you then end up winning at hammer price of $1k. I net out $900, you pay a total of $1,200 (usually buyer premium is 20%) and auction house take is $300.

Comment

• yankees506
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by gorilla777
                    Yes, most of the time there is a commission.
                    So I consign something with 10% commission, that you then end up winning at hammer price of $1k. I net out $900, you pay a total of $1,200 (usually buyer premium is 20%) and auction house take is $300.
                    Wow, learn something new everyday!

Comment

• 3arod13
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by yankees506
                      Wow, learn something new everyday!
                      +1
                      Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by PwKw13
                        That depends on the auction house. Some charge no consignment fees. Others, if your items are worth enough, will charge negative consignment fees. That is, they'll give you bonus percentage over the floor price.

Comment

• yosef777
                          • Apr 2009

It comes down to greed IMO, auction houses, ebay, etc. want to 'double dip' hitting the seller AND the buyer.

Comment

• Masimen
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by yosef777
                            It comes down to greed IMO, auction houses, ebay, etc. want to 'double dip' hitting the seller AND the buyer.
                            Not that I am defending eBay, but they don't "double dip". Only the seller
                            Pays. As for other traditional auction houses, charging a buyers premium and charging a commission to the seller is age old practice. Not sure how it amounts to greed. They are running a business.

Comment

• xpress34
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Masimen
                              Not that I am defending eBay, but they don't "double dip". Only the seller
                              Pays. As for other traditional auction houses, charging a buyers premium and charging a commission to the seller is age old practice. Not sure how it amounts to greed. They are running a business.
                              Actually they do 'double dip' the seller - and really it's a 'triple dip'.

They charge the seller a Listing Fee - (1st Dip)

They charge the seller a 'Final Valuation Fee' - (2nd Dip)

They charge the seller a fee on the funds they collect (PayPal is an eBay company which is why they stopped allowing payment by check or M.O.) - (3rd Dip)

So the seller pays to 'try' and sell, pays when it 'does' sell and pays again when they get 'paid'...

Which is part of why Sellers tend to raise prices on eBay - to cover all the fees!

Comment

Working...