Trout prices are going through the roof......

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danesei@yahoo.com
    • Feb 2014

Re: Trout prices are going through the roof......

Also, Cabrera *did* have a management company while with the Marlins. That's why so much of his GU stuff is from Hollywood Collectibles from that period.

Comment

• MikeKam
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by danesei@yahoo.com
      That's the point. MLB authenticated bats aren't what are selling for the $700 range. Maybe Mike can offer some insight here. I know the original bat that I said was no good had no MLB authentication and even had somewhat questionable origin (looked like a sample bat). Is the new bat that you bought MLB authenticated, Mike?
      No, the previous one that I asked about eventually sold for $550 I believe. There's been another Miggy Zinger bat that has been put up on eBay several times in the past few weeks that is going for $200-300 continuously. Both of these bats however have been deemed likely not authentic by people I trust on gamers.

Comment

• R. C. Walker
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Roady
        Just wait until his career is about over and his stuff, like Trouts, will be half or less what it is now.
        I picked up a Pujols bat last year for 1/4 of what they had been selling for. People always jump to the next big thing and forget that history repeats itself.
        That’s the truth. Trout, Puig & Harper are the next Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Josh Hamilton (when was the last time you saw his name on this forum?), Stephen Strasberg and yes, Albert Pujols.
        R. C. Walker
        sigpic

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by R. C. Walker
          That’s the truth. Trout, Puig & Harper are the next Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Josh Hamilton (when was the last time you saw his name on this forum?), Stephen Strasberg and yes, Albert Pujols.
          Two of the names on the latter list (Pujols & Guerrero) are likely HOFers. Similarly, two of the names on the former list (Trout & Harper) are potential HOFers. Puig's off-field antics will eventually land him in the doghouse with Mattingly... it's just a matter of time.

Comment

• R. C. Walker
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by danesei@yahoo.com
            Two of the names on the latter list (Pujols & Guerrero) are likely HOFers. Similarly, two of the names on the former list (Trout & Harper) are potential HOFers. Puig's off-field antics will eventually land him in the doghouse with Mattingly... it's just a matter of time.
            Point is, big money being spent on Trout is similar to the mania seen in the past. Prime example is Josh Hamilton. Many are feeling the sting if they were making an "investment".

Trout's an extemely good player yet has not had 100 RBI. Bryce Harper topped off at 59 with a career average around .270 and seems to be injury prone. Potential HOFers? Not quite. Collectors are paying Hall of Fame prices though. Doesn't make sence.
            R. C. Walker
            sigpic

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
              • Feb 2014

Point is, big money being spent on Trout is similar to the mania seen in the past. Prime example is Josh Hamilton. Many are feeling the sting if they were making an "investment".
              I don't see how one could say Trout/Harper are the same as Hamilton. Abreu or Cespedes, maybe, but not Trout/Harper. Hamilton's first season was at age 26. Trout and Harper each have two seasons under their belts, and they haven't even reached the age Hamilton was when he made his MLB debut (25 yrs 316 days old). Hamilton's memorabilia (just like Ryan Howard's) was over-priced due to a very late start to his career. Bryce Harper turns 22 two and a half weeks after the Nationals play the final game of their regular season, and he's played just over half his career games batting second in the order. Trout is a year and two months older than Harper. The point in both cases is they have a few years before they reach the age Hamilton made his debut at. He's not a good comparable.

I said Pujols and Guerrero were good comps, but even those two made their debuts after turning 21. Griffey might be a better comp, but only because his career started at 19, as well.

Trout/Harper may never fulfill the perception of their potentials, but even if they fall well short, they're likely to have better careers than Hamilton.

Comment

• carbonrosa
                • Jun 2012

I'm a huge Trout and Harper fan. What bothers me the most about collecting anything Trout, is the fact that on any given day you can find a 2012 or 2013 bat for sale either through auctions or more importantly on ebay. Every owner asking HOF prices for these bats with almost all of them being made in January which tells me Trout dumps all his spring training bats to sell through Anderson Authentic's. It's obvious Trout understands their's a market for his equipment where he can profit from. On top of that since coming up, he has done 11 private signings not including team signings. Nothing wrong with any of that but as a fan trying to own one of his bats, I get a little scared paying $3000 to $4000 for a spring training bat not knowing how many of his bats will be out there in 10 years? Say what you want about Bryce Harper but at least you don't see him doing this. Finding a true game used bat is very hard and Harper has done 1 private signing dating back to 2010. It makes spending money on a Harper bat or getting a signature a little easier knowing the quantity of quality stuff out there of his is way lower.

Comment

• swainer
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by carbonrosa
                  I get a little scared paying $3000 to $4000 for a spring training bat not knowing how many of his bats will be out there in 10 years? Say what you want about Bryce Harper but at least you don't see him doing this.
                  Harper has donated bats to a college team in Nevada. I'd bet some of these have already hit the market as game used.

When College of Southern Nevada assistant baseball coach Sean Larimer received a text message from Washington Nationals star Bryce Harper late last week asking for his mailing address, he knew Harper was going to send some equipment for the junior college program. Larimer just didn’t expect it to be this ...
                  Always interested in Lance Parrish game used items. Looking for any Tigers game used jersey, game used glove, road Mariners jersey, and 94 Pirates home jersey. Contact me at john.swainer at gmail dot com

Comment

• AndersonAuthentics
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by carbonrosa
                    which tells me Trout dumps all his spring training bats to sell through Anderson Authentic's. It's obvious Trout understands their's a market for his equipment where he can profit from.
                    Apparently you don't know much about Trout's game used items and are making random assumptions. Let me state this as public knowledge so there isn't any more confusion-

Starting in 2013, MT27 model codes are bats he used in Spring Training. MT27* are bats he used in the regular season. He gets a set # of bats per year to use, the majority of which are made before the season (in 2013, they were made in January). If he gets low or thinks he may need more, he will get an extra dozen or two later in the year. Mike uses LESS than 6 dozen bats per year in the regular season.

Comment

• AndersonAuthentics
                      • Nov 2008

Trout's an extemely good player yet has not had 100 RBI. Bryce Harper topped off at 59 with a career average around .270 and seems to be injury prone. Potential HOFers? Not quite. Collectors are paying Hall of Fame prices though. Doesn't make sence.
                      We judge players now on hitting the 100 RBI platform? Haha. Can't be serious. 70 homers, 82 doubles, 21 triples, 91 steals, 200+ walks, .309 career average, 446 hits, and 287 runs all at the age of 22. 4 years younger than Hamilton when he took his first MLB swing. People investing in Trout are going after longevity, the counting stats adding up and his chance at being a 3k+ hit/500+ HR player. Of anybody in the game today, Trout is the one who has the best chance at not only being a HOFer, but a legend.

Comment

• PAC
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2012

Josh Hamilton was a goldmine...if you invested in him while he was facedown in that mountain of cocaine he bought with his Devil Rays money.

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by AndersonAuthentics
                          We judge players now on hitting the 100 RBI platform? Haha. Can't be serious. 70 homers, 82 doubles, 21 triples, 91 steals, 200+ walks, .309 career average, 446 hits, and 287 runs all at the age of 22. 4 years younger than Hamilton when he took his first MLB swing. People investing in Trout are going after longevity, the counting stats adding up and his chance at being a 3k+ hit/500+ HR player. Of anybody in the game today, Trout is the one who has the best chance at not only being a HOFer, but a legend.
                          This actually bothers me. Let's assume Trout becomes Mantle. What do Mays gamers sell for? $6500, according to PSA. If Trout gamers sell for $3000 today, basically you're expecting to double your money by the time Trout retires (37?). So, 15 years to maybe get a 100% return on your "investment."

Let's say we pick Mantle instead of Mays as the baseline. Aug 2013, a Mantle gamer sold for $18.5k in a Heritage Auction. Assuming 0 percent consignment fee (due to a Mantle bat having positive value on marketing the auction; 15 per cent is the cap), the consignor made $15.5k on the transaction. That would be a 400%+ gain on the transaction.

Now we must deal with the issue of economics.

Starting in 2013, MT27 model codes are bats he used in Spring Training. MT27* are bats he used in the regular season. He gets a set # of bats per year to use, the majority of which are made before the season (in 2013, they were made in January). If he gets low or thinks he may need more, he will get an extra dozen or two later in the year. Mike uses LESS than 6 dozen bats per year in the regular season.
                          So, Trout uses less than 72 bats during the regular season, which would be 40 per cent less than the average number of bats ordered by a player, according to the Louisville Slugger website FAQ (http://www.sluggermuseum.com/faq/). I have no reason to doubt your numbers, but since you're privy to the number of bats Trout uses in a season, do you also know how many actually enter MLB play, how many are practice bats, and how many are ordered by Trout but never used? I would guess the answer is yes, and since you're trying to make information public knowledge, maybe you could share those numbers, as well, to give a better estimate of how many "game issued" bats might potentially hit the market.

At the peak of his playing days ordering, Mays is recorded as ordering 188 bats in a season (1971). By contrast, Mantle saw a playing days peak of 75 bats (1964). I'd guess that a 10 per cent survival rate for gamers from Mays or Mantle might be high, but for argument's sake, I'm going to use that number. Let's assume 10 per cent of Mantle (759 total ordered) and Mays (2048 total ordered) gamers have survived time and are available to the market. That would mean there are 76 Mantle and 205 Mays bats available to the marketplace. That would also mean there are currently more Trout gamers in the market than Mantle gamers for his career, and by the All-Star break this year, there should be more Trout gamers than Mays gamers, as well. I think it's pretty easy to see that the supply of Trout gamers (and any other player for that matter) will dwarf the combined supply of these two Hall of Fame players by the time Trout "retires a legend."

The speculation on Trout's items right now will only make sense if someone assumes the market for modern gamers will also dwarf the market for items of established legends. I don't see that happening.

Comment

• Roady
                            • Jun 2012

Wow! He may want to hit above .270 this year first.

Trout has all the talent in the world. He is very good.

I remember Gregg Jefferies.

Comment

• Roady
                              • Jun 2012

And as his official dealer of game used items AndersonAuthentics is not exactly unbiased in this matter.
                              Legend? That is a big word.

But the bigger the buzz the bigger the prices realized.

Comment

• R. C. Walker
                                • Nov 2005

Sorry. Thought 100 RBI's was one of the platforms which we judged a player's productivity.

I'll consider your .302 lifetime AVG. Just as good as Magglio Ordonez.

Name Batting Average Rank
                                Ty Cobb .366 (.36636) 1
                                Rogers Hornsby .358 (.35850) 2
                                Joe Jackson .356 (.35575) 3
                                Ed Delahanty .346 (.34590) 4
                                Tris Speaker .345 (.34468) 5
                                Ted Williams .344 (.34441) 6
                                Billy Hamilton .344 (.34429) 7
                                Babe Ruth .342 (.34206) 8
                                Harry Heilmann .342 (.34159) 9
                                Pete Browning .341 (.34149) 10
                                Willie Keeler .341 (.34129) 11