Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Trout prices are going through the roof......

Good results tonight on MLB.com auctions. A bat for over $3k, a broken bat handle for nearly $600, and two baseballs between $450-$500.

I'm guessing the days of lower-priced Trout game used memorabilia are over. I had heard the Angels were no longer selling at games but taking everything to auction. Probably a bad sign for Trout collectors.......

Thoughts?

Re: Trout prices are going through the roof......

Truly insane prices and risky investments. The only winner here is the team which profits now tremedously.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

The market will collapse. It is inevitable. The marketplace is being flooded. 100 game used jerseys per season vs. 4-8 in 1990. These are no longer investments. Stick with the old dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Good results tonight on MLB.com auctions. A bat for over $3k, a broken bat handle for nearly $600, and two baseballs between $450-$500.

I'm guessing the days of lower-priced Trout game used memorabilia are over. I had heard the Angels were no longer selling at games but taking everything to auction. Probably a bad sign for Trout collectors.......

Thoughts?
    They still sell at games, but only lower end items. And keep in mind, the team doesn't get actual Trout game used aside from the balls and some of his ST bats. If you need hit balls, bases, or signed stuff, then the stadium kiosk is still the spot to buy.

The bat they sold was a bat Trout used in 2013 spring training, and the handle was from a holdover from this spring (cracked 4/6) that split with the barrel landing in the stands. Prices on Trout haven't been "low" since before his monster rookie season, ever since then these prices have been the norm.

And as for the poster assuming Trout uses 100 jerseys per year, that is incorrect. Even accounting for the one off jerseys (such as last night's military jersey or the JRD jersey), Trout uses VERY few jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    The market will collapse. It is inevitable. The marketplace is being flooded. 100 game used jerseys per season vs. 4-8 in 1990. These are no longer investments. Stick with the old dudes.
    Yeah, 5 jerseys in rookie year for him

If something ever happens to him and he doesn't play a full career there are going to be some very sad people.

I cannot understand spending HOF type money on a player who has payed 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    If something ever happens to him and he doesn't play a full career there are going to be some very sad people.

I cannot understand spending HOF type money on a player who has payed 2 years.
    Feel the same way about Puig as well. I'd like a bat or something of his, but I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money for such a young player.

Quote Originally Posted by xsentrixsupra View Post
    Feel the same way about Puig as well. I'd like a bat or something of his, but I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money for such a young player.
    Just wait until his career is about over and his stuff, like Trouts, will be half or less what it is now.
    I picked up a Pujols bat last year for 1/4 of what they had been selling for. People always jump to the next big thing and forget that history repeats itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Just wait until his career is about over and his stuff, like Trouts, will be half or less what it is now.
    I picked up a Pujols bat last year for 1/4 of what they had been selling for. People always jump to the next big thing and forget that history repeats itself.
    Correct. I don't like to jump at the major prospects, because there is so much potential for disappointment. Now, if I have the rare opportunity to buy a player's first hit base, or something cool from a debut, that's a different story.

I know Trout is proven, but I can't help but think of the people who paid $2,000 to $3,000 for Dustin Ackley jerseys. I got a nice Ackley gamer this year for $150 maximum.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonAuthentics View Post
    And as for the poster assuming Trout uses 100 jerseys per year, that is incorrect. Even accounting for the one off jerseys (such as last night's military jersey or the JRD jersey), Trout uses VERY few jerseys.
    I agree with this comment. I don't think any team is pumping that many jerseys out per season for anyone yet... Out of any of the teams, the Tigers seem to be flooding the market with items (if I were a Tigers or Cabrerra collector, I'd be upset), but I'd doubt they even get to that number of jerseys per star player.

That said, I do think the prices are nuts for Trout/Puig. It is this weird sports collecting obsession with rookies... Solid HOF-level players aren't as exciting as the potential of an unknown I guess.