• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • entitled_nitwits
    Banned
    • Mar 2010

Re: 1995 Ripken All-Star Jersey

Originally posted by ironmanfan
    i've gotten so many inquiries regarding this shirt that i went to my tape library, pulled the tape & watched the entire game last night (VHS; SP mode), took some screen shots that i'll probably post tonite or in the near future and let people draw their own conclusions..

a few years ago, his un-used Rawlings bat from this All Star Game (was originally given to Hideo Nomo as a gift) was listed on eBay and fortunately, I was the sole bidder (later had him sign it)..

I will go on record as saying I am a skeptic of the authenticity of the jersey.

I don't know what to make of the letters that accompany it. We could run through all the obvious possibilities, but that's futile. Assuming they are real and were issued for the charity auction they represented, I will conclude that area of discussion by simply stating there is no direct "tie" between this jersey and the letters, like a photo of the jersey ON the letter, so they are not helpful in determining the ultimate authenticity of this shirt.

I have done an exhausting photo search of Cal Ripken Jr. and his 1995 jerseys, and I have found more info that leads to a "troubling" conclusion than to a supportive one. That said, I would say the truth lies in whatever screen shots could be revealed by someone who has viewed the actual game and can produce a few relatively clear close-ups of the front and/or back, hopefully both. I welcome anything that ironmanfan can produce for comment from the game tape.

Comment

• sportscentury
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by entitled_nitwits
      I will go on record as saying I am a skeptic of the authenticity of the jersey.

I don't know what to make of the letters that accompany it. We could run through all the obvious possibilities, but that's futile. Assuming they are real and were issued for the charity auction they represented, I will conclude that area of discussion by simply stating there is no direct "tie" between this jersey and the letters, like a photo of the jersey ON the letter, so they are not helpful in determining the ultimate authenticity of this shirt.

I have done an exhausting photo search of Cal Ripken Jr. and his 1995 jerseys, and I have found more info that leads to a "troubling" conclusion than to a supportive one. That said, I would say the truth lies in whatever screen shots could be revealed by someone who has viewed the actual game and can produce a few relatively clear close-ups of the front and/or back, hopefully both. I welcome anything that ironmanfan can produce for comment from the game tape.
      Exactly. The truth (or photomatch) will set you free.
      Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• allstarsplus
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sportscentury
        Exactly. The truth (or photomatch) will set you free.
        So true. Don't you wish there was MLB #'d holograms to put on the jerseys back then.

I believe it is a real Ripken jersey just don't know if it was the All Star jersey. Could the All Star patch been added after the fact, yes.

The letters look good but are they guaranteed to go with this particular jersey, no.

Hopefully at the very least the fonts etc can be style matched. The stains and marks can be matched up if there are shots from the end of the game or those collar stains could have been post-game or from handling. I can see marks inside the jersey from one of the photos so I am skeptical of what those are.

This could be a centerpiece to any Ripken collection and with 14 bids so far, it will certainly go much higher than the current $3,000.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19698g_ripken.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	660485

Click image for larger version

Name:	19698e_ripken.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	660486
        Regards,
        Andrew Lang
        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
        202-716-8500

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

not much at gettys. this was taken in the 5th inning.
          Attached Files
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com
          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• ironmanfan
            • Sep 2005

As promised, here are a few scans of Cal Ripken Jr. from the 1995 All Star Game. Keep in mind that I taped the game back in 1995 on a VHS player in SP mode (and then took pictures of paused action a couple nights ago).

I watched the game in it's entirity (although Cal did leave the game for a pinch runner in the bottom of the 7th inning) and forgot what a pitching dominated game it was....The National League only had 3 hits the entire game and all three were solo home runs (winning 3-2).

As far as fielding was concerned, Cal had two put-outs and only one assist..Offensively, he went two for three...

I was originally looking for the dirt marks on the back of his jersey when just the back of the jersey was available for viewing and the best/closest shot I could get, was Cal after snaring a Mile Piazza liner in the 5th:

When the jersey was removed from the frame, I was encouraged because it appeared that there were some marks on the front (above the top bottom and on the collar that I hoped I could match). While it is unknown what those front marks are (dirt?, rust?, original matting rub-off?), I can tell you with certainty that they are not visible on the tape...While these screen shots aren't perfect, I can tell you that while watching it in full fluid motion, the white is ivory snow in color...Here are a coupld shots of Cal on first base after hitting a single in the 7th (just prior to being removed for a pich runner) as well as a couple of shots of him sitting on the bench shortly thereafter and the last one is him being interviewed beween innings (after being removed):

By no means am I making any declaration one way or another of the jersey's authenticity (or lack thereof). I had quite a few people contact me looking for screenshots and I simply wanted to provide them with such.

I could kick myself beacuse I was with Cal all afternoon in Valley Forge at the Hunt Philly Show last Saturday, but we were so busy with the Public signing as well as the 'back room' signing, it totally slipped my mind to ask.

Of course, I would love to see any other pictures/scans that anyone could share as well!

Good Luck to all potential bidders!

Comment

• ironmanfan
              • Sep 2005

The only other things I wanted to bring out as far as the "Orioles" font is concerned, it appears if you looked at the orange border surrounding the "e" and "s" on Orioles on the auction jersey, they appear to touch and on the pictures, there is definitely separation/daylight between the two letters.

While this shows little, here is a picture from my library of Cal tagging out Dykstra as he attempted to steal 2nd in the first inning of the game...

Comment

• entitled_nitwits
                Banned
                • Mar 2010

I have to say after looking at your screen shots, it appears to be THE one. I was concerned with the location of the "8" on the front, and the crossing over of the black piping between the second "o" and the "l"...and it hits the exact location in both cases on the nose...something I was unable to find (match) on any other picture of a 1995 home Orioles jersey being worn in an action shot by Ripken Jr.

The stains? Someone didn't take very good care of this jersey apparently. Or they happend in the clubhouse after the game, or sometime after that (obviously). But I do believe it is the same jersey.

Thank you for posting the pics ironmanfan.

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

The only other things I wanted to bring out as far as the "Orioles" font is concerned, it appears if you looked at the orange border surrounding the "e" and "s" on Orioles on the auction jersey, they appear to touch and on the pictures, there is definitely separation/daylight between the two letters.
                  [/IMG]
                  here is the "e" and "s" section of the jersey from the 2 auction photos in zoom mode.
                  Attached Files
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com
                  Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• entitled_nitwits
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2010

Even if authentic, this jersey appears to be a one-time worn jersey for the event.

The distinguishing characteristics that I have found differ from every single game-worn jersey from the 1995 season. It almost appears to be the case of issuing a jersey with the knowledge it was to be auctioned off in a Charity after the game.

If I am accurate in my assessment, a true season worn game-used jersey would be much more appealing, but that is just my opinion.

Comment

• sportscentury
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by entitled_nitwits
                      I have to say after looking at your screen shots, it appears to be THE one. I was concerned with the location of the "8" on the front, and the crossing over of the black piping between the second "o" and the "l"...and it hits the exact location in both cases on the nose...something I was unable to find (match) on any other picture of a 1995 home Orioles jersey being worn in an action shot by Ripken Jr.

The stains? Someone didn't take very good care of this jersey apparently. Or they happend in the clubhouse after the game, or sometime after that (obviously). But I do believe it is the same jersey.

Thank you for posting the pics ironmanfan.
                      I guess my eyes are not as good. I couldn't tell much of anything from the screen shots. Has anyone accessed the high-resolution version of the Getty Image to see if there is a match? The photo may not be of high-enough quality to tell, but if I were seriously interested in this shirt, this would seem like a no-brainer investment to me.
                      Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• cstock101
                        • Mar 2010

I found some video of Ripken being introduced before the game at youtube.com Type in Arlington Texas 1995 All-Star Game mlb Ripken footage begins at 5:30 of the video and ends at 5:55

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by cstock101
                          I found some video of Ripken being introduced before the game at youtube.com Type in Arlington Texas 1995 All-Star Game mlb Ripken footage begins at 5:30 of the video and ends at 5:55
                          here a screenshot
                          Attached Files
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

While this shows little, here is a picture from my library of Cal tagging out Dykstra as he attempted to steal 2nd in the first inning of the game...

compare the back plate location
                            Attached Files
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• cstock101
                              • Mar 2010

Joel,
                              When you mention the "back plate" are you comparing the two pics listed? If so,one is Ripken being introduced minutes before the game and the other pic is in the first inning. I would guess it to be a safe assumption that they are the exact same jersey,correct? I was thinking somebody could view the youtube video to see if they can photo match it with the Huggins & Scott auction jersey. Chris

Comment

• allstarsplus
                                • Nov 2005

Steve Mears called me to tell me he was the ultimate winner of the Cal Ripken jersey.

Personally, I think Steve got a really good price on it especially given the year was 1995 and how historic that was for Cal.

I think it adds to the collectibility and history of the jersey that it came from 1995 the year Cal broke Gehrig's streak on Sept 6, 1995.
                                Regards,
                                Andrew Lang
                                AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                                202-716-8500

Comment

Working...