Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue Jays jersey circa 1984

Hi all,
    I wanted to get some opinions on what this jersey might be. The year/set tag looks to be consistent with other game jerseys from that era, as well as the Wilson size tag.

What I was wondering is if it was common to place a piece of white fabric over a NOB to use in either spring training of the minors instead of removing the name all together.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Blue Jays jersey circa 1984

Wilson tag

Front

Yes, it was common to place fabric over names. Expos did this too in order to prevent tearing the jersey when sent to minors. Names are sewn directly on jersey without any plate for major league usage.

Ah yes, the McGriff jersey on EBay. Was this a carryover for spring training in '85? Or used in spring training '86 or the 3 games he played that yr during the season?

The home whites were just letters on back, no name plates. And the blues were NNOB for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier39 View Post
    Ah yes, the McGriff jersey on EBay. Was this a carryover for spring training in '85? Or used in spring training '86 or the 3 games he played that yr during the season?

The home whites were just letters on back, no name plates. And the blues were NNOB for future reference.
    All the tagging looked legit to me, so I figured I'd take a chance. Did jerseys have a NOB during spring training?

I was hoping that it was from his two home games that he played in '86, but I have nothing to base that on. Pictures from that era aren't exactly easy to come by.

I've seen NFL teams use jerseys from 2-3 years prior, didn't know if it was commonplace for MLB teams in the 80's.

Mike

No one wore 19 in 84 or 85, so maybe it was a spring training jersey for one of those yrs?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamechicken View Post
    All the tagging looked legit to me, so I figured I'd take a chance. Did jerseys have a NOB during spring training?

I was hoping that it was from his two home games that he played in '86, but I have nothing to base that on. Pictures from that era aren't exactly easy to come by.

I've seen NFL teams use jerseys from 2-3 years prior, didn't know if it was commonplace for MLB teams in the 80's.

Mike
    Yep! Tagging looks good to me too! I honestly don't know about blue jays ST jerseys. Maybe a Tor collector can chime in.

Thanks for the info Terry, I appreciate it.

Mike

Also too- there were patches on the 84 and 86 jerseys. 84 had the 150th bday patch while 86 had the 10th anniversary patch. Does it show evidence of having a patch at some point?