Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Redskins being forced to change name by US gov

I hate when government buts into our lives. I hate it more when they do it to the sports teams.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redski...rticle/2549886

Re: Redskins being forced to change name by US gov

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    I hate when government buts into our lives. I hate it more when they do it to the sports teams.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redski...rticle/2549886
    The government isn't forcing them to change the name, so don't jump to that conclusion. The Patent Office's ruling says the team will no longer be able to have exclusive rights to their logo or name written in that text, meaning anybody could sell knockoff Redskins shirts and such (without the NFL logo), and can't be sued for trademark infringement. The Redskins can still use the name and the logo for their team.

I'm not calling you out for this, but some of the comments I've seen from people have been absolutely stupid. People are honestly saying, "we have problems with illegal immigration, Iraq, and the economy, and the government is really concerned with this? Waste of tax money blah blah blah!" Get real.

Go file a trademark application to call a team the Ni**ers or the Fa**ots, and they'll reject it for the same reason they give here. Trademarks with words that are inherently discriminatory.

Also, the Patent office has done this before and the Redskins one the appeal, so simmer down.

The thing I hate/don't understand about all this "Redskins" team name controversy is why NOW. Why even the last 5-10yrs that this is been blown up in the news and by the Native American community.

The "Redskins" team name came into play during the 1930's when the team was formed. Makes ZERO sense why now and even in the 2000's. Why not back years ago. If the team name is that insensitive/discriminatory, then they should've fought it a looooonnngg time ago.

Stupid IMO. Everybody wants to sue somebody these days

Why not just change the stupid name. It is a pretty dumb name, their uniform or pretty blah to me, and it is pretty offensive to some.

Honestly this is basically forcing them to change it or lose a lot of money. Once people find out about all the knockoffs no one will really want legit gear.

Miami University here in Ohio changed from the Redskins to Redhawks, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsontravis@ymail.com View Post
    Why not just change the stupid name. It is a pretty dumb name, their uniform or pretty blah to me, and it is pretty offensive to some.
    I agree. This same city changed the name of their NBA team by choice to the Wizards from the Bullets because it implied violence. People in the Native nations have come out and said the name not only implies but IS offensive to them and the team is up in arms.

Playing Devils Advocate: If the Irish Anti-Defamation League came out and claimed calling the team from Notre Dame the "Fighting" Irish implied they were easily roused to fisticuffs because they are alcoholic brawlers, would anyone take them seriously? Lets not forget, the term Paddywagon was coined for the police van used to round up the drunk and disorderly because of the negative slang term for the Irish is "Paddy".
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Are there any hard numbers as to how many are offended? Almost every team name could offend someone, somehow.

Today on SiriusXM's NFL Channel, the morning show had an Indian Chief (I forget his full name) who stated he likes the name and would be offended if they changed it. Why is his opinion so easily dismissed?

Someone should tell the Indians that the Redskin and NFL fans pay millions in taxes. You know that money they get for doing nothing. Their lives are a cake walk because of Redskin s(the Indian ones)...They should be honored and idol them.

Why is it a big deal? Can't we just ignore them like usual?

My solution? Rename the team the Washington Pig-Skins. Here's why:

Washington has a long history of heavyset fans coming to games dressed as "Hogs" wearing pig noses and ears. "Hogs" is already a nickname established by the die hard fan base. This new nickname just embellishes it.

Second, its hyphenated. No one needs to stop referring to the team by their current abbreviated nickname, the "Skins"

Lastly, it's a rather clever use of double entendre: a Porcine outer organ and another term for a football.

Problem. Solved.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Seems like Snyder just wants to keep the name, because he wants to "win" even if the win is meaningless........I doubt hes losing money as is on merchandise sales and if they renamed, think of all the people who would be buying new gear? I know revenue from merchandise is split amongst the teams besides the Cowboys, but either way, it won't hurt them.

If he really wants to tighten the screws and irk some PC people, change it to the Washington Tea-party or something like that