Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting stiffed by non-paying bidders

Has anyone had an increase of non-paying bidders recently? I don't sell a ton of stuff but I've had 4 items not paid for in the last 2.5 months and it bums me out. The last one was a George Springer rookie HR record lineup card. I should set my auctions so if you have 0 feedback you can't bid. I just think that's a little unfair to young people who come off age and get an eBay account. It's especially annoying if you're trying to sell something like that line up card when the player is hot.

What experiences have you all had with non-paying bidders? EBay doesn't seem to do much about it.

Re: Getting stiffed by non-paying bidders

Someone sold one of the early Upper Deck Michael Jordan jersey cards on EBay for me but didn't send it with Delivery Confirmation. Well the buyer said he didn't receive the card and got his refund. As this was going on, he listed the card for sale on Ebay. Was told nothing could be done because it couldn't be proven that was the same card that was sent to him (noserial print number).

Quote Originally Posted by beaglegypsy003 View Post
    Someone sold one of the early Upper Deck Michael Jordan jersey cards on EBay for me but didn't send it with Delivery Confirmation. Well the buyer said he didn't receive the card and got his refund. As this was going on, he listed the card for sale on Ebay. Was told nothing could be done because it couldn't be proven that was the same card that was sent to him (noserial print number).

WOW!! That's taking shady to a while new brazen level. I had that happen once but it wasn't relisted. Buyer said he didn't get the ball. I just don't believe it. Every since then on items over 30 bucks I do delivery confirmatioin.

I don't understand why you wouldn't do Del Con on all items. It costs something like 19-cents through the eBay shipping. Also, you get a 10-18% discount (it seems) off shipping, so when all things are accounted for, DC is "free" when shipped through eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't do Del Con on all items. It costs something like 19-cents through the eBay shipping. Also, you get a 10-18% discount (it seems) off shipping, so when all things are accounted for, DC is "free" when shipped through eBay.

I would if I sold more items. I sell maybe 20 items every 6 months or so. I have used shipping through eBay before and I just don't have the right equipment to weigh the items. There were some other things if I remember correctly that I wasn't given the option to choose. Maybe I'll give it another shot the next time.

If you ship Priority Mail, DC and $50 insurance is included. Personally, I wouldn't ship any other way.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Getting stiffed by non-paying bidders

I don't trust Delivery Confirmation, because Ive had postal carriers sign off on it themselves, even when I haven't gotten the item in hand. This happened several years ago why confirmation packages were delivered while I was at a Cubs game...a bat from Ball Park Heroes, and an Eric Davis Cardinal cap from Jeff Sullivan in Missouri. Both were dropped off without my presence, and both were stolen out of the building lobby. BPH took care of me, but Sullivan accused me of trying to "beat him out of a hat", took some swipes at me by name in a few of his eBay listings, and made no attempt to work it out to a satisfactory conclusion for both of us (just for himself). These days, anything of value I ship gets Signature Confirmation. Its not as cheap ($2.90) but I find it more reliable.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I don't trust Delivery Confirmation, because Ive had postal carriers sign off on it themselves, even when I haven't gotten the item in hand. This happened several years ago why confirmation packages were delivered while I was at a Cubs game...a bat from Ball Park Heroes, and an Eric Davis Cardinal cap from Jeff Sullivan in Missouri. Both were dropped off without my presence, and both were stolen out of the building lobby. BPH took care of me, but Sullivan accused me of trying to "beat him out of a hat", took some swipes at me by name in a few of his eBay listings, and made no attempt to work it out to a satisfactory conclusion for both of us (just for himself). These days, anything of value I ship gets Signature Confirmation. Its not as cheap ($2.90) but I find it more reliable.

Dave Miedema
    Outside your front door is considered delivered...or your apartment lobby. You don't have to give it to the owner to be delivered. So really delivery confirmation does nothing to prevent theft. Signature confirmation is for sure the best bet on valuables.

I have a winner of a story for this month......I sold a jersey to a buyer in WA, sent it UPS with Sig Con because my back and forth with him at the beginning made me jumpy. The transaction didn't feel right. Now, 5 weeks later, PayPal has locked up my $176 because the buyer claims it was an unauthorized purchase. I have this going in my favor:

Seller Protection Eligible
    Confirmed Address
    Signature Confirmation (tracking info I saved)
    Buyer has a recent history of this same claim with another seller.

Now, it could take up to 30 days for PP to decide on this matter. My gut tells me I'm going to be out the jersey and the $176. I'm just resigned to the fact that eBay and PayPal (same animal) are not seller friendly. What a waste of time.

I bought a jersey that I paid $750 for. The delivery instructions was signature confirmation. I came home that night and the package was just sitting on the garage steps.