Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Reggie White Super Bowl Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by VISUALCONCEPTSNJ View Post
    If you would, please post pics of what black marks that you feel line up... I'm very curious to see what you are referring to.
    The photos below represent the markings to which I referred earlier. I, personally, feel like they are consistent with the helmet offered. The photos represent games from October (Redskins), November (Bears away) and December (Bears home) of 1995.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I totally understand that certain parts of helmets can be changed during the course of the season… but look how many inconsistencies are present from October of 1995…
    The placement of the Lions' sticker in this comparison made me scratch my head, as it is clearly off from the photo that you posted. However, when you compare the helmet offered to the photos from the Pro Bowl in 1996 (including yours below), it appears that the mascot logo was move or replaced prior to the game. It does sit lower than the October 1995 photo.

I also like the apparent hit mark just below the Lions' logo front paw and the black mark on the top rail of the face mask. I feel these are present in the photo offered below.

I agree the mouthpiece looks new. My guess is that it was for the Pro Bowl. The photos show a clear mouth piece attached with a white string. During the 1995 season, it appears these may have both been blue in many games.

Unfortunately, I have nothing in terms of photo evidence to support the rear bumper. The entire inside of the helmet may have been swapped out for its final game, perhaps causing the inconsistency. It would seem to hold some water given the 1996 recertification sticker. But this is purely a swag on my part.

Are any of my points 100% conclusive? Doubtful. But they offer me enough to get comfortable with the helmet. Again, best of luck to anyone that pursues it. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JDubbs73 View Post
    The photos below represent the markings to which I referred earlier. I, personally, feel like they are consistent with the helmet offered. The photos represent games from October (Redskins), November (Bears away) and December (Bears home) of 1995.
    Jason... With the photos that you provided, you actually just helped prove my point even further...

Have a look at how far the Lion's front paw is from the face mask and the rivet in the helmet that you circled. The lion is MUCH higher in the game photos than on this helmet...

The NFL shield on the back of the helmet is much higher on the helmet in the game pics as well (PIC WHERE BARRY IS GETTING HIS SNEAKER CLEANED OUT)...

Also, Reggie White trimmed the front stripes after Barry supposedly gave him the helmet?!?! Really??? LOL

The placement of the Lions' sticker in this comparison made me scratch my head, as it is clearly off from the photo that you posted. However, when you compare the helmet offered to the photos from the Pro Bowl in 1996 (including yours below), it appears that the mascot logo was move or replaced prior to the game. It does sit lower than the October 1995 photo.

I also like the apparent hit mark just below the Lions' logo front paw and the black mark on the top rail of the face mask. I feel these are present in the photo offered below.

I agree the mouthpiece looks new. My guess is that it was for the Pro Bowl. The photos show a clear mouth piece attached with a white string. During the 1995 season, it appears these may have both been blue in many games.

Unfortunately, I have nothing in terms of photo evidence to support the rear bumper. The entire inside of the helmet may have been swapped out for its final game, perhaps causing the inconsistency. It would seem to hold some water given the 1996 recertification sticker. But this is purely a swag on my part.

Are any of my points 100% conclusive? Doubtful. But they offer me enough to get comfortable with the helmet. Again, best of luck to anyone that pursues it. Cheers!
    That is NOT a hit mark below the Lion's paw... It's a rivet in the helmet which is on ALL of them...

Jay, like I said previously, I respect your opinion and position. I would expect the same courtesy, even if you disagree with mine.

Jay, like I said previously, I respect your opinion and position. I would expect the same courtesy, even if you disagree with mine.
    I absolutely respect and appreciate your opinion and position as well as everyone else's on this forum... I will not speak anymore on this helmet... This will be my last response to it but I would like to leave you with just one last thing to think about...
    I think with the picture that you provided with the lion's paw placement had a lot to do with the angle that the photo was taken at. If you look at Barry directly from the side during the Pro Bowl game, you can see it is much further away...

Once again, I only try to respectfully help... and Congrats to whoever wins the helmet.

I absolutely respect and appreciate your opinion and position as well as everyone else's on this forum... I will not speak anymore on this helmet... This will be my last response to it but I would like to leave you with just one last thing to think about...
    I think with the picture that you provided with the lion's paw placement had a lot to do with the angle that the photo was taken at. If you look at Barry directly from the side during the Pro Bowl game, you can see it is much further away...

Once again, I only try to respectfully help... and Congrats to whoever wins the helmet.

I absolutely respect and appreciate your opinion and position as well as everyone else's on this forum...
    Thanks, Jay. I appreciate it.

That is NOT a hit mark below the Lion's paw... It's a rivet in the helmet which is on ALL of them...
    FWIW, I was referring to the scratch or mark immediately adjacent to the rivet. This, too, will be my last post on this thread. Best of luck!

The black mark that you have shown in your photos is the triangular Riddell logo that is printed onto the back of his helmet. His helmet throughout the 1995 regular season had this logo on the rear. His helmet during the 1996 season also did. The helmet in the auction does not. This logo is very difficult to remove - taking a long time and alot of effort unless you don't care about the paint. Not sure what the black marks on the rear of the auction helmet are, but they do not look like the Riddell logo, nor a Riddell logo that has been removed. Until I see a photo of the rear of the helmet in the ProBowl, I am a bit skeptical.

The mask looks good to me. Sanders usually wore an OPO but in 1995 he wore the OPO single wire like the helmet in the auction. Also, I agree with Dubbs on the mouthguard.

The stripes don't bother me. Vinyl shrinks. I own a lot of helmets where the stripes have shrunk up a bit an leave a gap between their end and the front bumper. Same with side logos - they also shrink a bit. That is why on most older helmets you see the dirty "ring" around the logos - from the adhesive where the vinyl logo has shrunk. I own several Lions helmets and they all have the stripes installed flush with the nose bumper. In other words, the equipment manager installs the stripes without removing or loosening the mask. Over time they will shrink up a bit thus leaving a gap. I doubt anyone trimmed these...

The rear bumper decal font is a bit puzzling. They did not go to this font until Matt Millan came along, changed the logo, put black into the uniforms and helmets stripes, and thought that it would help him win - instead of better drafting. You will see this font on Lions helmets from the 2000's - not from 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    The black mark that you have shown in your photos is the triangular Riddell logo that is printed onto the back of his helmet. His helmet throughout the 1995 regular season had this logo on the rear. His helmet during the 1996 season also did. The helmet in the auction does not. This logo is very difficult to remove - taking a long time and alot of effort unless you don't care about the paint.

The rear bumper decal font is a bit puzzling.
    Some of the black Riddell logos were decals, which might explain some of the leftover goo by the warning label. Not sure of the timeframe of when they used painted logos vs decals. But if the helmet was reconditioned the painted logo would be erased, unless Riddell did all of the reconditioning in 1995.

The bumper decal is...

What are the theories on the true source of this helmet? I mean, Reggie's estate has hundreds go legit items in this auction, why question this piece? Given the source, and the number of attributes on this helmet that do line up, I'm considering going after this helmet.
    WTB -
    Rob Gronkowski GU / GI jerseys
    Patriots GU / GI red throwback or silver jerseys
    Jose Canseco A's GU jersey