Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: New User Here with a question about steiner

Marino, why would you need/want a steiner letter if it has an MLB hologram?

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Marino, why would you need/want a steiner letter if it has an MLB hologram?
    As far as I know (from my personal collection that is) -- it is a good backup to have the Steiner letter stated the MLB hologram number.

It is easier to narrow down the game date and so forth, instead of just generic and then you have to search for photomatched.

On some good occasions, authenticators will do a complete job and have everything stated on the database. And then steiner will pick them up and attach their own with the info.

But when there is no MLB attachment to the bat, steiner obtained it then they will have their own generic matching hologram along with the letter stated it as such.

Wait a moment here. So are you saying that I would be "dumb as a door knob" if I bought a bat with only the Steiner sticker but missing the letter?

That's just a joke, right? You do realize that happens all the time, right? And I have zero issues buying a bat with a missing letter, and I have before.

And what's this Steiner and MLB authentication combo talk? If it has an mlb sticker, a Steiner sticker/letter is irrelevant. Having Steiner authentication does nothing for me anyways. Steiner backing mlb authentication up? Ha, that's silly.

Which is why I don't buy from Steiner. An overpriced and supposedly "internal database".

Quote Originally Posted by marino13 View Post

I am full of BS ... and childish? and you already got the SAME answer but you need proof?

who is the dumb ass here?

Come one now!

There is an internal database and it is NOT for general public and that is that!

And if you are buying a Steiner bat with just a hologram on it -- you are as dumb as a doorknob!

Bottom line, you got your answer with the tampered hologram and you still want to take a gamble with the "non letter gamer" and hoping to fish out some answer so you can see if you make a right purchased or you just got swindled .... you take a risk and now you want to help to verify?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier39 View Post
    Wait a moment here. So are you saying that I would be "dumb as a door knob" if I bought a bat with only the Steiner sticker but missing the letter?

That's just a joke, right? You do realize that happens all the time, right? And I have zero issues buying a bat with a missing letter, and I have before.

And what's this Steiner and MLB authentication combo talk? If it has an mlb sticker, a Steiner sticker/letter is irrelevant. Having Steiner authentication does nothing for me anyways. Steiner backing mlb authentication up? Ha, that's silly.

Which is why I don't buy from Steiner. An overpriced and supposedly "internal database".

To each his own.

I have never misplaced any letter for all the game used bat I got from Steiner .... ever!

All of them are in tube and the letter is rubber-band at the handle of the bat.

I would never purchase any gamer -- especially when it comes to steiner, with just the hologram and the so called "misplaced LOA". That just too many ifs about it.

And if you want to to take a risk and hoping for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ---- which is the main reason of the post --- seeing if there is a searchable database.

Not everyone like steiner stuff, but for me, they have been good with me by getting what I want and when I need them, so I support them (directly until I have reason not to. I do not and have no need to buy their stuff indirectly.

Again, to each his own when it comes to "misplaced LOA" -- I am for one, that will never touch it even if it was affordable.

In a 2009 thread, one of the moderators (TNTtoys) posted about getting a replacement Steiner LOA:

"I had this happen once before with a Steiner item, and the way they went about replacing the cert is exactly the way I believed they should. 1. Requested the item back. 2. Removed the old sticker & entry from their database. 3. Affixed a new numbered sticker & wrote new letter with matching numbered sticker affixed to the letter."

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=23312

Here is what a Steiner rep had to say on this subject in 2013:

"Steiner Sports policy is not that we only re-issue COA's for items to the original purchase. Marino is correct we do have a very strict policy because authenticity and integrity of a product is not only paramount but what we've built our company and reputation on over the past 25 years. Our policy regarding replacement COA’s or LOA’s is you need to contact us and set up to send the item you need authenticity on back to us. From there we will examine the item and make sure everything checks out and matches up and if it does we will issue a replacement COA for $50. This has always been our policy regardless of who made the purchase. Our concern isn’t who bought the item it’s about protecting the Steiner brand and standing behind “the Steiner seal means it’s real” philosophy. If there’s anything at all I can do to help you in this process please don’t hesitate to give me a call at 914-307-1004.

Brooks Cowan
    Steiner Sports"

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=55714

It's interesting that the rep doesn't explain how Steiner determines that "everything checks out and matches up". If they have an internal database, it seems easy, & there's some good profit in that $50.

If they don't have a record of some sort (even e.g. numbers written on an inventory printout) that ties a specific holo # to a specific item, then it seems that the best they can do is confirm they can't prove the item didn't come from them.

I do agree with the Steiner rep that "authenticity and integrity of a product is not only paramount but what we've built our company and reputation on over the past 25 years". That's why I've always found their inability or unwillingness to provide a database for their GU items to be so confounding.

Bob

It is to each his own. And it seems like your last post is basically admitting that you buy the LOA and not the item. If you have a Paul O'Neill bat with Steiner hologram, Steiner LOA, but no handle tape or cleat marks...I'm passing. It wasn't used by O'Neill. Ditto for a Jeter bat with the same LOA and hologram but that has handle tape.

Regardless of the paperwork and holograms...common sense and evaluation of use characteristics is a must. To me, it sounds like you're buying the LOA and going off what they say instead of also putting into consideration what you also know as a collector, which I don't personally know you so I don't know how much that is. From a person on the outside looking in, it seems to me that you're someone that only buys an item if it comes with PSA/Steiner/MLB authentication. Which would explain why you buy directly from Steiner only, and would never buy something with missing paperwork, which by the way, happens quite a bit in our hobby. I've told this to someone else on a different situation, but if that's how you feel, more power to you. You're one less person that will be bidding against me.

But like you say, to each his own....

Quote Originally Posted by marino13 View Post
    To each his own.

I have never misplaced any letter for all the game used bat I got from Steiner .... ever!

All of them are in tube and the letter is rubber-band at the handle of the bat.

I would never purchase any gamer -- especially when it comes to steiner, with just the hologram and the so called "misplaced LOA". That just too many ifs about it.

And if you want to to take a risk and hoping for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ---- which is the main reason of the post --- seeing if there is a searchable database.

Not everyone like steiner stuff, but for me, they have been good with me by getting what I want and when I need them, so I support them (directly until I have reason not to. I do not and have no need to buy their stuff indirectly.

Again, to each his own when it comes to "misplaced LOA" -- I am for one, that will never touch it even if it was affordable.

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. The bat that I purchased did only have a steiner Sticker and had a letter from steiner but no MLB authentication. I do believe that it was used and cracked and I believe that it matched the characteristics of other game used bats