X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
    • Feb 2012

Re: Reggie White Super Bowl Jersey

Originally posted by JDubbs73
    Jay, like I said previously, I respect your opinion and position. I would expect the same courtesy, even if you disagree with mine.
    I absolutely respect and appreciate your opinion and position as well as everyone else's on this forum... I will not speak anymore on this helmet... This will be my last response to it but I would like to leave you with just one last thing to think about...
    I think with the picture that you provided with the lion's paw placement had a lot to do with the angle that the photo was taken at. If you look at Barry directly from the side during the Pro Bowl game, you can see it is much further away...

Once again, I only try to respectfully help... and Congrats to whoever wins the helmet.

Comment

• VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
      I absolutely respect and appreciate your opinion and position as well as everyone else's on this forum... I will not speak anymore on this helmet... This will be my last response to it but I would like to leave you with just one last thing to think about...
      I think with the picture that you provided with the lion's paw placement had a lot to do with the angle that the photo was taken at. If you look at Barry directly from the side during the Pro Bowl game, you can see it is much further away...

Once again, I only try to respectfully help... and Congrats to whoever wins the helmet.
      Attached Files

Comment

• JDubbs73
        • Dec 2011

I absolutely respect and appreciate your opinion and position as well as everyone else's on this forum...
        Thanks, Jay. I appreciate it.

That is NOT a hit mark below the Lion's paw... It's a rivet in the helmet which is on ALL of them...
        FWIW, I was referring to the scratch or mark immediately adjacent to the rivet. This, too, will be my last post on this thread. Best of luck!

Comment

• helmets
          • Mar 2008

The black mark that you have shown in your photos is the triangular Riddell logo that is printed onto the back of his helmet. His helmet throughout the 1995 regular season had this logo on the rear. His helmet during the 1996 season also did. The helmet in the auction does not. This logo is very difficult to remove - taking a long time and alot of effort unless you don't care about the paint. Not sure what the black marks on the rear of the auction helmet are, but they do not look like the Riddell logo, nor a Riddell logo that has been removed. Until I see a photo of the rear of the helmet in the ProBowl, I am a bit skeptical.

The mask looks good to me. Sanders usually wore an OPO but in 1995 he wore the OPO single wire like the helmet in the auction. Also, I agree with Dubbs on the mouthguard.

The stripes don't bother me. Vinyl shrinks. I own a lot of helmets where the stripes have shrunk up a bit an leave a gap between their end and the front bumper. Same with side logos - they also shrink a bit. That is why on most older helmets you see the dirty "ring" around the logos - from the adhesive where the vinyl logo has shrunk. I own several Lions helmets and they all have the stripes installed flush with the nose bumper. In other words, the equipment manager installs the stripes without removing or loosening the mask. Over time they will shrink up a bit thus leaving a gap. I doubt anyone trimmed these...

The rear bumper decal font is a bit puzzling. They did not go to this font until Matt Millan came along, changed the logo, put black into the uniforms and helmets stripes, and thought that it would help him win - instead of better drafting. You will see this font on Lions helmets from the 2000's - not from 1995.
          Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• paul457
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by helmets
            The black mark that you have shown in your photos is the triangular Riddell logo that is printed onto the back of his helmet. His helmet throughout the 1995 regular season had this logo on the rear. His helmet during the 1996 season also did. The helmet in the auction does not. This logo is very difficult to remove - taking a long time and alot of effort unless you don't care about the paint.

The rear bumper decal font is a bit puzzling.
            Some of the black Riddell logos were decals, which might explain some of the leftover goo by the warning label. Not sure of the timeframe of when they used painted logos vs decals. But if the helmet was reconditioned the painted logo would be erased, unless Riddell did all of the reconditioning in 1995.

The bumper decal is...

What are the theories on the true source of this helmet? I mean, Reggie's estate has hundreds go legit items in this auction, why question this piece? Given the source, and the number of attributes on this helmet that do line up, I'm considering going after this helmet.
            WTB -
            Rob Gronkowski GU / GI jerseys
            Patriots GU / GI red throwback or silver jerseys
            Jose Canseco A's GU jersey

Comment

• UGA-1
              • Jan 2009

Surely someone has a video from this game to get a look at the rear of the helmet. Anyways, here is what I see....

1- The bottom rivet appears to line up with the lions decal rear paw. No issue there.
              2- The chinstrap appears to have the same buckle location on strap. No issue.
              3- But, what appears to be the upper rivet (next to the tail)is higher in the game photo when compared to the auction helmet.
              4- Not the best pic to use, but there looks like other scuffs on the lion and rear of helmet that are not on the auction helmet.

Please take this for what it is... another opinion. Good luck to anyone bidding.
              Attached Files
              Always looking for Georgia Bulldogs game used.
              email: jgiles2448@yahoo.com

Comment

• helmets
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by paul457
                Some of the black Riddell logos were decals, which might explain some of the leftover goo by the warning label. Not sure of the timeframe of when they used painted logos vs decals. But if the helmet was reconditioned the painted logo would be erased, unless Riddell did all of the reconditioning in 1995.
                The decals did not replace the Riddell printed logo until at least 2000. Riddell's reconditioning in 1995 was All American which used a small shield size decal on the inside or outside of the helmet as seen on most of the Cowboys helmets, 49ers helmets, and Lions helmets from this era.

Good luck on the auction.
                Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by UGA-1
                  Surely someone has a video from this game to get a look at the rear of the helmet. Anyways, here is what I see....

1- The bottom rivet appears to line up with the lions decal rear paw. No issue there.
                  2- The chinstrap appears to have the same buckle location on strap. No issue.
                  3- But, what appears to be the upper rivet (next to the tail)is higher in the game photo when compared to the auction helmet.
                  4- Not the best pic to use, but there looks like other scuffs on the lion and rear of helmet that are not on the auction helmet.

Please take this for what it is... another opinion. Good luck to anyone bidding.
                  AWESOME observation… While looking at your side by side comparison, another thing jumped out at me as well…
                  Attached Files

Comment

• jhunt28
                    • Oct 2008

Amazing... I thought this helmet was going to sneak through the cracks...I guess I'll show you guys the nail in the coffin so you can see that this was Barry's helmet. Although the only problem is that I'm pretty sure this was a backup helmet, with the only evidence of game use being in the 1996 Pro Bowl. Although I still hope visual contacts stays out of the bidding!

Comment

• VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by jhunt28
                      Amazing... I thought this helmet was going to sneak through the cracks...I guess I'll show you guys the nail in the coffin so you can see that this was Barry's helmet. Although the only problem is that I'm pretty sure this was a backup helmet, with the only evidence of game use being in the 1996 Pro Bowl. Although I still hope visual contacts stays out of the bidding!

http://www.apimages.com/metadata/Ind...02297c11d4/4/0

Comment

• VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
                        • Feb 2012

To be totally honest... I have my holy grail Sanders piece that is 10000%. I am not totally convinced about this helmet and have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. I will not be involved in the bidding process... Best of luck.

Comment

• 808jerseys
                          • Apr 2006

During the 1994 Pro Bowl , as well as through 2000's. I've noticed some players having more than one game helmet from their team with them. This trend seem to have started after 3 of the Dallas Cowboys got their helmets stolen from their lockers. I've also noticed players have traded helmets before the Pro Bowl game. Then on game day the same 2 players would be wearing their own team helmet. So it seems that the back up issue for the helmet, has turned into just more to trade with other players.
                          So my thought on Barry's lid is he could have had more than one during Pro Bowl week.

Comment

• VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
                            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by jhunt28

http://www.apimages.com/metadata/Ind...02297c11d4/4/0
                            I would like to apologize to the forum for any inaccurate information/ opinion that I may have posted earlier about this Barry Sanders helmet...
                            This thread and the real/ fake theories really got me interested over the past few days and truly inspired me to dig even deeper to come to a conclusion that is true fact and not just possibility.
                            After several hours of research, hi-res photos, and game film, I can 100% say (IN MY OPINION) that THIS IS the helmet that Barry Sanders wore in the 1996 Pro Bowl game... Here is the proof and the PHOTOMATCHES!!!!
                            THIS HAS TOO BE THE MOST AMAZING GAME WORN ITEM THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ALL MY YEARS OF COLLECTING!!! ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING...

Good Luck to all and P.S.... VISUALCONCEPTSNJ is back in the bidding!!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• VISUALCONCEPTSNJ
                              • Feb 2012

I would like to apologize to the forum for any inaccurate information/ opinion that I may have posted earlier about this Barry Sanders helmet...
                              This thread and the real/ fake theories really got me interested over the past few days and truly inspired me to dig even deeper to come to a conclusion that is true fact and not just possibility.
                              After several hours of research, hi-res photos, and game film, I can 100% say (IN MY OPINION) that THIS IS the helmet that Barry Sanders wore in the 1996 Pro Bowl game... Here is the proof and the PHOTOMATCHES!!!!
                              THIS HAS TOO BE THE MOST AMAZING GAME WORN ITEM THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ALL MY YEARS OF COLLECTING!!! ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING...

Good Luck to all and P.S.... VISUALCONCEPTSNJ is back in the bidding!!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• jhunt28
                                • Oct 2008

You're not making this easy for me

Comment

Working...