Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I caught Devin Mesoraco's record-setting HR

So here is how the story goes. I had traveled to Wrigley Field from Virginia for a couple of games. Tuesday night was the final game of my trip as the Cubs played the Reds in the middle game of a three game series. Devin Mesoraco had homered in 4 straight games and was one shy of tying the Red's record for consecutive games with a homerun. I positioned myself in the leftfield bleachers in his final at-bat of the night, when Mesoraco launched a blast down the line. I ran into the next section over where the ball hit a bleacher and rolled underneath another fan's feet. I grabbed the ball and immediently started hearing the chants of "throw it back." I looked up and three security guards grabbed me and told me to hold onto the ball and that the Reds wanted to negotiate with me. So as security led me out of the bleachers, fans booed and threw things at me because i did not throw the ball back. (Felt like The Bartman incident all over) They took me to the security office underneath the stands where the security officials were watching video of the homerun to ensure i actually was the one who got the ball. The head Chicago Cubs security official then led me to the Reds clubhouse where equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF. We were able to work out a deal for a signed mlb authenticated game used bat of his in exchange for the ball. Mesoraco was happy to get the ball back and said i was cool about the situation, which he also said to the media and is printed in yesterday's cincinnatti enquirer. The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  97.6 KB

Re: I caught Devin Mesoraco's record-setting HR

Here is a picture of the actual record-setting HR ball to tie the Reds record for consective games with a HR.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  74.6 KB

Cool!
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

That's very cool! And what the hell does mlb care if you wanted to negotiate for some stuff? How many record setting homerun balls will a fan catch in their lives?

Exactly why do they care. You could have easily kept it and tried to cash in. Asking for a game bat is in no way nagging.

Guy makes millions of dollars and couldn't pay a little green for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pjl2928 View Post
    So here is how the story goes. I had traveled to Wrigley Field from Virginia for a couple of games. Tuesday night was the final game of my trip as the Cubs played the Reds in the middle game of a three game series. Devin Mesoraco had homered in 4 straight games and was one shy of tying the Red's record for consecutive games with a homerun. I positioned myself in the leftfield bleachers in his final at-bat of the night, when Mesoraco launched a blast down the line. I ran into the next section over where the ball hit a bleacher and rolled underneath another fan's feet. I grabbed the ball and immediently started hearing the chants of "throw it back." I looked up and three security guards grabbed me and told me to hold onto the ball and that the Reds wanted to negotiate with me. So as security led me out of the bleachers, fans booed and threw things at me because i did not throw the ball back. (Felt like The Bartman incident all over) They took me to the security office underneath the stands where the security officials were watching video of the homerun to ensure i actually was the one who got the ball. The head Chicago Cubs security official then led me to the Reds clubhouse where equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF. We were able to work out a deal for a signed mlb authenticated game used bat of his in exchange for the ball. Mesoraco was happy to get the ball back and said i was cool about the situation, which he also said to the media and is printed in yesterday's cincinnatti enquirer. The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.
    Attachment 84914
    Way to go man>NICE!

Banned

Smile Re: I caught Devin Mesoraco's record-setting HR

I'm glad you got it, as opposed to one of the Legends-In-Their-Own-Minds on Waveland Avenue. At least a couple of those guys would have rushed the ball to eBay with an inflated opening bid or BIN...after all, a home run ball is worth more if a Wrigley Field Ballhawk catches it, don'tcha know.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I'm glad you got it, as opposed to one of the Legends-In-Their-Own-Minds on Waveland Avenue. At least a couple of those guys would have rushed the ball to eBay with an inflated opening bid or BIN...after all, a home run ball is worth more if a Wrigley Field Ballhawk catches it, don'tcha know.

Dave Miedema
    Ha! To funny.

Awesome story!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...