So here is how the story goes. I had traveled to Wrigley Field from Virginia for a couple of games. Tuesday night was the final game of my trip as the Cubs played the Reds in the middle game of a three game series. Devin Mesoraco had homered in 4 straight games and was one shy of tying the Red's record for consecutive games with a homerun. I positioned myself in the leftfield bleachers in his final at-bat of the night, when Mesoraco launched a blast down the line. I ran into the next section over where the ball hit a bleacher and rolled underneath another fan's feet. I grabbed the ball and immediently started hearing the chants of "throw it back." I looked up and three security guards grabbed me and told me to hold onto the ball and that the Reds wanted to negotiate with me. So as security led me out of the bleachers, fans booed and threw things at me because i did not throw the ball back. (Felt like The Bartman incident all over) They took me to the security office underneath the stands where the security officials were watching video of the homerun to ensure i actually was the one who got the ball. The head Chicago Cubs security official then led me to the Reds clubhouse where equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF. We were able to work out a deal for a signed mlb authenticated game used bat of his in exchange for the ball. Mesoraco was happy to get the ball back and said i was cool about the situation, which he also said to the media and is printed in yesterday's cincinnatti enquirer. The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  97.6 KB