Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jonsstats misrepresented caps

The first cap, if a legitimate gamer, would be 1984, not 1983. While 1983 was the first year of the MLB official licensee tag, the white piping was black (as opposed to white) on the inside of 1983 New Era on field caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201121825770

Also has a mid-80s (1985-1987) Blue Jays cap being represented as a 1977 cap. The center tag (with three lines of red) made its debut in 1984/1985 for New Era. Someone removed the MLB official licensee tag to make the cap look older than it really is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141338184575

Re: Jonsstats misrepresented caps

What makes the Blue Jays cap especially funny is the possibility that, if it's a legitimate gamer worn by #23, it was possibly a Cecil Fielder cap prior to the tagging being removed... Then again, maybe it was used by Mitch Webster, since it looks almost brand new (less aging).

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    What makes the Blue Jays cap especially funny is the possibility that, if it's a legitimate gamer worn by #23, it was possibly a Cecil Fielder cap prior to the tagging being removed... Then again, maybe it was used by Mitch Webster, since it looks almost brand new (less aging).
    I also *just* noticed that the underbill is grey. Blue Jays caps had green underbills until 1979 or 1980.

Banned

Angry Re: Jonsstats misrepresented caps

jonstats has for years been known as a dealer who has among the worst research skills in the game-used hobby. While his stuff is GU/GI more often than not, dating and player ID mistakes by him on his eBay items are very frequent. If you bid with him, do your research first.

Dave Miedema

Oh well, someone paid $50 for the doctored Jays cap. Unfortunate for them. When I asked the seller about the wrong color on the bill, he responded "don't know."

Hi......Dave is exactly right concerning research skills and he knows how I feel about doing your research when it comes to caps. The resources are out there and available for all to use. You have cap collecting websites, Getty photos, baseball cards, game footage, Ebay and auction house pictures.......so much more that is available than ever before. It is all about doing your homework......both the buyer and the seller have to do this to make successful purchases and sales.

Dating a cap and player ID are very important as they go hand in hand. I believe Jonsstats could do a better job in the research dept., but let's don't bash him. Instead. we can let him know of the many ways he can best learn about what he has to sell. If the issue is white piping, black piping, three red lines, MLB labels, size tags, grey bills, green bills, or whatever, don't ever think you have a cap totally figured out as to who wore it and when it was worn. Doing your homework doesn't always mean 1+1 will = 2. Something will turn up to change your thinking. That's just the way caps are. According to several equipment managers I have spoken to in the past, many teams had access to both retail caps and on-field caps.......it was totally up to the player. If this comes as a shocker to all of you cap enthusiasts, well take note and do your homework by the means I stated earlier and you will see.

For someone to be able to point out Jonsstats misrepresentations means that they did their homework and it also means that he can do the same if he so desires. Danesei and Dave........good observances and let's talk more about caps on here.

-Walt

Tallyman77

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyman77 View Post
    For someone to be able to point out Jonsstats misrepresentations means that they did their homework and it also means that he can do the same if he so desires. Danesei and Dave........good observances and let's talk more about caps on here.

-Walt

Tallyman77
    The problem with jonsstats is that, when approached with information establishing his claims to be impossible, he simply says "well, don't bid if you don't like it" or something similarly aloof response. It's not necessarily that he's misinformed or does bad research, per se. It seems more like he intentionally stops doing research once it gets to a point that would discredit his claim on who wore the item or what the item is.

And, Wally, I agree with the basic idea that we need to give everyone a benefit of doubt, since we all start somewhere. In this case, I didn't set out to bash Jonsstats, but rather to question the caps he had for sale. I don't believe Jonsstats is the one doctoring items being sold, but it seems he'll buy in bulk and sell on stories. For example, he has a pair of right handed pitcher cleats for sale right now. When I asked if there's any documentation to support the provenance to a specific player, he said there's only the story. He's honest when questioned directly, but his listings are intentionally deceptive and/or misleading.

Sorry, Walt. I mixed up Tally and Walt... and ended up thinking Wally.

Wally works for me.......heehee! Well fairness and integrity play a major role in becoming a trusted dealer and it may be that these are totally lacking and that's a shame.

-Walt

Tallyman77