David Schoenfield wrote a column positing a question of the number of 2014 All-Stars that would be HOFers. He named Miguel Cabrera and Derek Jeter as HOF locks. Given the general understanding of the term lock, that would imply that Jeter and Cabrera are destined for the HOF, barring some sort of scandal that would either ban them officially (ineligible list) or unofficially (BBWAA boycott).

Now, as of today, Cabrera has two MVPs, three top-2 finishes and seven top-5 finishes. He has the requisite 10 years in the league for eligibility, as well as 57.5 career WAR and 44.6 7yr-peak WAR values. Cabrera is a renaissance man rekindling images of Hank Aaron, Hack Wilson, Johnny Mize and Frank Robinson.

In an era where Mike Trout is Mantle, and Albert Pujols is Ruth, all we can say is Cabrera is Cabrera. He epitomizes hitting in a way that makes it hard for words to express. However, are his current statistics, two MVP awards, a Triple Crown and the eye test enough to solidify his place in Cooperstown?

If Cabrera's career ended in tragedy today, he would be in the HOF for sure. However, I'm wondering what would the voters say if he chose to simply walk away from the game? Is his peak value enough to off-set any second half slide in his career? If the injuries continue to impact his play (or get worse), will the .260/.320/.465 Cabrera play into voters' minds when looking at his career body of work?

Personally, I think Cabrera will make the HOF barring anything but a PED affiliation. He's gotten past the media drudgery of his alcoholism, and played the game like a child, full of passion and love. I do hope Cabrera gets into the HOF, as the only other player I liked as much as him was Larry Walker, and his HOF outlook gets dimmer by the year.