Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Do you collect Game-Used Bases?

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    Do autographs on game used bases last? I've seen some where you can barely make out the signature. Is it due to the dirt or is the surface not marker friendly?
    I have two bases with several autos and so far have had no problems with fading. Of course just like anything how you store/display it will make a big difference.

The real problem is getting a good looking auto. There are indentations going all over the base as well as little bumps that I assume are for grip. They can make it difficult to sign the base. If you get a player who doesn't really care it wont look great. You can see how Mariano took his time while it seems Pedroia said good enough and moved on.

IMG_7043 by mets1190, on Flickr

Some game used bases. Sorry for the poor picture quality...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice stuff. Love the bases with the logos on them.

One time Chase Utley had an inside the park home run and the phillies were selling all three bases from it but of course I didn't buy them and wish I did.

Awesome stuff! ( I owned Jeter's 1500hit base, but sold it because I never got around to framing it.) I love how you just have them "as is" on the wall! How did you hang those?

Quote Originally Posted by tbone90 View Post
    Some game used bases. Sorry for the poor picture quality...
    really cool looking display

Thanks guys. I had a couple people ask about the holders I use to mount the bases so here's a couple pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I use the trinagle holders for second base bags with the logo's printed at an angle. They hang very nicely and readable then.

Tony, your collection looks great! Thank you so much for sharing those pictures with us. Are the stumps that go into the ground on the bases easy to take off? I assume that's what you did in order to place them so nicely on the wall.

Also, what do people do when they have bases that are autographed and want to display them? Is there some sort of acrylic case like those made for baseballs but fit bases?

Yes, the metal mounting post/plate come off the bases really easy. There's several screws on all four sides that need removed and the metal post can then just be pulled out of the back of the base.

TBone- awesome collection. What type of wood are you using for the display, and what is the width of wood to avoid it cracking and falling? Oh, and if you ever move the Vets Stadium, I'm in!