Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Do you collect Game-Used Bases?

Does anyone know of any base frames or cases that allow you to display the base without taking the metal post off the base?

Picked up some nice displays off of eBay for $80 or so.

I enjoy bases because they can be directly tied to an event (e.g., when there are special logo bases) or a statistic (you can't get your 3,000th hit without touching first base).

I was stoked to grab this one on Sunday
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always looking for Noah Syndergaard, Charlie Blackmon, Jordan Pacheco & Kenneth Faried items, thx!

Quote Originally Posted by tbone90 View Post
    I collect a wide range of game used baseball items, mostly bats, and as part of that I also collect game used bases. I don't collect statistically relevent bases from specific games or players careers though. I only collect game used bases with logo's printed on top of the bag. The logo's are usually pretty colorful, clear in what the particular game or event was and look great all dirtied up from game use. I have approximately 25-30 of them commorating all sorts of different occasions. The bases I have range from World Series and All Star games to the WBC and the Civil Right game. Quite a few are from the final season or inaugural season of ballparks and I'm always on the search for ones I don't have. Most recently this year I aquired logo bases from the 100th Anniversary game at Wrigley and the anniversary of Hank Aaron's 715 HR's on Opening Day from the Braves.

I cut out wooden holders from plywood, paint them white and use large picture hangers on them. The moubnts/hangers slide in the base where the mounting plate goes for games and I hang them on the wall. It gives them almost a floating look.

There's never seemed to be a large contingency of g/u base collectors but I sure enjoy them in my collection. I'm looking to the National next week to see if I can find any new ones to add!
    Tony, for each commemorative base, do you know roughly how many times teams use bases with the logo vs. just a jewel being commemorative? For example, for Ripken's retirement, it looks like they had the #8 jewel in many games, but the base with the farewell logo was used only in the final home series? On the other hand, the bases celebrating a stadium milestone seem to have been used on different dates not just the end of the season. I'm just trying to get a sense of how many of these logo bases were used for each logo type, if there is any pattern throughout MLB.