Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Jim Kelly Gamer Collection

Love me some Reich!!!
    Figured this didnt need its own thread as he WAS Kelly's backup...

I will say its interesting. When I 1st started I might have passed on this. I, like many Bills guys, got SO hung up on that exclusive Bills year tag as well as the short plate and you just cant rely on that 100% of the time.
    After really digging and photomatching etc, I started to see occurrences on other players besides Kelly ( HE was consistent... after the 87 Sand Knit it seems the man always had a short plate NOT like some of these fake gamers that are just retail authentics at some auction sites that people are paying 3k for...) where they actually did have a name plate that extended the back. Also, with recycled jerseys and late season orders there really are quite a few pieces that wont have that 2nd jock tag. In fact, people seem to look at that as being a tell tale sign of a gamer but I've got a Shane Conlan with that tag that is a retail jersey. SSOO much weird stuff went on with these shirts and no concern was put on making everything uniform like now a days. The best thing I like to look for is the pilling under the shoulders on the inside and HoJo's writing on the inside tag denoting a number or sometimes a letter as well. I started doing much better when I realized the #1 rule to old Bills gamers is there are no rules

Back to Kelly though...
    Here are a couple of my favorites. 2 1987 Bills Kellys.
    I may have shared the White one before. Kelly had a white and a blue champion thick handwarmer jersey. The Blue one was used in 87 and had the sleeves cut but for whatever reason when they played away at the Jets that year Kelly busted out his old Sandknit white hand warmer jersey... leaving the Champion one unused. Sleeves are folded up in this pic, but both are intact making me think this was never used in a game. After that, he went to the good ol'muff. Still, its the only Kelly handwarmer I've ever seen and between the sandknit and Champion there cant be more than a couple that exist.
    The blue one here is pretty cool because I think this era is the hardest to find jerseys for. The post 91 ones are all over but one like this with good wear, trimmed bottom, 2nd stripe cut off, and jersey style name plate is so imperfect its perfect. A fav for sure

Wish I had the dough for this but its rough coming up w/jersey $$ this time of year as its time to buy for others.
    http://www.dacardworld.com/sports-ca...re#moredetails
    I've seen and owned a lot of Jimbos but only once or twice have i seen an apex. I checked, and the only pics i cld find of him wearing apex is the SB. I wonder why he did it just for that game? maybe the insisted if they did have a deal that he wear them, on the big stage? looks like Reich and Christie wore apex on the reg and was all over the comeback game. There does not seem to be much info on apex and the bills at all sadly I wonder why some guys changed for a yr or 2 and if it was on propose, or if thats just what they found in their lockers

Very cool collection

Thanks Phil
    Wish I had the resources to compete with the big boys - but I guess i've managed to do pretty well through some unconventional channels!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabresfreak View Post
    I don't have any Bills jerseys from the 90s but I have these.

Patches.

The Jackson jersey is hammered!

Moulds GI

Poz GI

SUPER cool!!!!

Been kinda quiet with Bills things that have interested me as of late until the last month or so. Crossed a few wants off the list.
    Kelso Sand Knit rookie jersey, late 70's Early 80s Sand Knit (Bills tagged) #16 that was plated Solomon and then was plated over but never issued again...
    Biscuit ProBowl thats photomatched and a Hull from the 1st set of 87 Champion jerseys with the port hole mesh that ended up being the only Bills Champion jerseys with sewn numbers and screened TV#s and name plate, just like my Norwood. Best part is, Bennett was the most expensive at $169

Same style as the Hull, but with the rounded neck. From what I can tell, skill players were issued round necks, and big guys got the V. I've picked up a few more from this set here and there but it is by FAR my favorite style/set of Bills jerseys. Just very unique. Maybe someday I'll even find a kelly!!! ( I can dream )

Wow. That is an awesome collection!! I am so jealous!!! Huge Bills fan. How are you displaying all these? Do you ever sell any? One more question. Where do you find all these Bills gamers! Thanks! Go BILLS!

Man really nice stuff. That Reich is pretty cool as well. Hell of a comeback qb.

Fun little pickup yesterday. Instantly one of my fav Kellys in the collection..
    http://i.imgur.com/jcXCKoI.jpg