Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Jim Kelly Gamer Collection

Hopefully this works better lol, still ironing out imuger mobile kinks
    84/85 Kelly Houston Gamblers gamer. HUGE thabk you and soutout to Anthony of Houston-Gamblers.com who commented on this thread earlier. He is about as nice as can possibly be and is a wonderful resource who really knows his stuff and was very helpful with any questions i had. Good stuff!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is your Pro Bowl Bennett game worn, issue, or just authentic. Not sure if 93 Pro Bowl jerseys were available to fans for sale yet?

It matches a pic of him wearing it with other Bills players, but i couldnt find a decent pic of him playing so im not sure if they had 2 and 1 was worn the day before and 1 in tue game or if it was all the same.

Banned

That has to be one of the prime USFL game used jerseys in the hobby. GREAT acquisition!

Dave Miedema

Thanks Dave!!!

And from a thrift shop no less! I guess ya never know where youll find a diamond in the rough!

I guess this has turned more into a Bills gamer thread so Ill post another.
    This one is an oddball. The spacing and tagging is pre-1986 and is probably from between Foley and Smith. I've found a pic of bruce holding this old style jersey - so they were around still BUT a simply check of his rookie card shows at that point he was wearing the new style sand knits with more space inbetween the numbers. Name plate marks could go either way as well as it was a short plate... 5 letters max. Both those players have a short name. This does have repairs and marks.... but its not HAMMERED as youd think a Foley or Smith would be. Im not familiar with the older sand knit to make an educated guess other than I assume its a player who briefly wore 78 between the 2. Id guess this is still white helmet era, but again... old sand knits arent my focus so I dont know its origin yr. If anyone can help or has any guesses, PLEASE feel free and lmk!

Thanks!!

1991 Kelly Gamer walked through the door yesterday. One of the ones given away after his weekly show. Eventually in later yrs these were just retail authentics. At this point however, still real deal
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello gobills,

I just wanted to add that I had the honor of meeting Mr. Kelly in Cleveland last year at the HOF induction.

I didn't know I was going to meet him as he came into the restaurant in the hotel very late one evening. Someone introduced us and we spent somewhere between 30-45 minutes talking.

Turns out Mr. Kelly is also a collector and he told me that he was one of the first people to start exchanging his jerseys with other players.

I think you mentioned he is your hero in one of your previous posts and I will say I think you picked a good one. Even without meeting him, anyone who watched the 'Four Falls of Buffalo' documentary on ESPN can easily see that he is a quality individual along with people such a great player.

Btw, on a side note, today is the feast day of one of my heroes...Saint Teresa of Calcutta.

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hello gobills,

I just wanted to add that I had the honor of meeting Mr. Kelly in Cleveland last year at the HOF induction.

I didn't know I was going to meet him as he came into the restaurant in the hotel very late one evening. Someone introduced us and we spent somewhere between 30-45 minutes talking.

Turns out Mr. Kelly is also a collector and he told me that he was one of the first people to start exchanging his jerseys with other players.

I think you mentioned he is your hero in one of your previous posts and I will say I think you picked a good one. Even without meeting him, anyone who watched the 'Four Falls of Buffalo' documentary on ESPN can easily see that he is a quality individual along with people such a great player.

Btw, on a side note, today is the feast day of one of my heroes...Saint Teresa of Calcutta.

-Chris
    That sounds like an AMAZING experience Chris!!! Very very cool, and that must have been pretty fun to hobnob with a former NFL QB.
    He seems to have certainly grown up over the years, just from an outside perspective. Its not uncommon to hear stories of Jimbo and the crew from the 90s glory days and their 4am adventures. Lets just say they seemed to be stuck in their 80s partying ways and living like rockstars... which they were. I cant pretend to know what he thinks, but I'd imagine blows like losing Hunter and then the Cancer would send a man one of two ways. Luckily, he seems to have embraced life and his family, taken the highroad, and is all the better for it.

I remember staring at his PROLINE card as a kid with my mouth open in awe at the collection he has. I will say that my work has him in for personal signings a few times a year and although he collects - I dont think he pays much attention to the details. In fairness, when your collection comes from the source (after game swaps etc) and you know its the real deal there isnt the same process of vetting the shirt. As I think I mentioned way back in the post - he didnt know very much in re: to the details of his jerseys. Some of the earlier Champions I brought in were thought to be Ferguson's until I showed him pictures of him wearing a style match. He got a kick out of that, but it was then I realized the 'source' wouldnt be very helpful in answering my questions.

It is odd however, that when you think of the premier Bills player to own a jersey of you'd probably think of #12 (maybe #78 or #83 but even still). The thing is, he gave out SO many shirts over the years and to make matters worse there are SSSSOOOO many 'retail authentics' that people either pass off as gamers or just dont realize they arent (even selling for 1K plus via auction sites) theres just a ton of his stuff out there. I think thats one of the reasons I tend to prefer pre 1991 Bills/Kelly stuff. Its not as 'uniform' as the post 91 AND there are not retail authentics to clutter and confuse things. Sadly, they are harder to come by BUT little by little I've been able to add. I paid $500 for my Norwood (after a 7 yr search) and thats far and away the most i've ever paid. All the rest have been 'finds' (pawn shops, estate sales, CL, 'framed that turn out to be gamers' etc) or trades. Anyway, my point is I'm glad I picked a player who isnt totally obscure and as a result there is enough stuff out there to keep me busy with out having to break the bank. For example, the 1991 from last week the owner was happy to get $100 for it. He didnt know or didnt care what it was. He was just happy to get $$ for something sitting in back of the closet since it was given to his son after his weekly show where he gave away the previous weeks gamer some 26 yrs ago. For me, it was $100 well spent!!!