Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jim Kelly Gamer Collection

Hello!
    I'm new to the forum and cant stop reading all the posts!! So much interesting information to take in, and so much can be learned! Thank you to all the contributors who make this such a great place for all of us like minded individuals with a common hobby!!
    I, like many others, collect Buffalo Bills gamers. At first I collected it all, but there was just too much so I decided Id focus on the teams I grew up watching. At first it was just the Champion jerseys of the 90s, but I really like the look of the 80s Sand Knit, so Ive added some of those as well. Not having a lot of disposable income, Ive had a lot of luck at thrift stores, craigslist, ebay, and trading. I have found some gems, but as time goes on I have found myself focussing on collecting jerseys of my hero, Jim Kelly. There are sssoo many variations of replicas and gamers from when he played, so ive amassed many replicas and retail authentics. I won't post pics of those as this isnt the place but here are some game worn/game issued Kellys...
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Re: Jim Kelly Gamer Collection

Here are some more...
    95 champion
    92 Apex
    88 champion
    91 champion
    87 handwarmer champion
    Sand knits
    94 and size 40 champion are retail authentic... I have seen reputable auction spots such as Grey Flannel auction these as game worn. Many 91 Bills jerseys didnt have the champion exclusive tag, such as my white 91. However, after, most always had the exclusive tagging as well. A dead giveaway for the retail authentics is the nameplate stretching the entire length of the back as shown in the 94 here. Kelly mostly wore 42 and 44, maybe a bit bigger his last year. I'm kind of confused how GF can authenticate a Kelly with the long plate, odd size, and lack of exclusive tag as game worn. Yet, if googled, by looking at examples (some of which have gone for over a grand) display all the qualities of a retail authentic. I suppose they cant be experts for every team.. anyway, thank you for looking!!

Example of short nameplate on 91 gamer

Banned

Awesome Jim Kelly Collection! I was a Bills guy in that era myself. It would be cool to see an Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Bryce Paup or a Bruce Smith in that mix. Cool jerseys...

Thanks!! A have a few for sure, I just thought because there were less Kellys to take pics of, Id post those. Maybe one if these days ill get around to all the others. I dont want to just post to post and take up peoples time. One of my favorites is a port hole Ervin Parker gamer from 83 :-) I just like the style. A Kelly from this era is my grail, but as they are few and far between, probably well out of my price range even if I was to ever run across one... I was pretty happy to find a Beebe recently as well!

so that's where they all are! Awesome collection, thanks for sharing and I sure hope Jim wins his battle!

Nice Kelly/Bills Collection...know where I can locate a Fred Smerlas Bills Gamer?

Thanks! I managed it through trades and right place right time finds as like I mentioned before it had to be done on the cheap. Jim came into my work a few days prior to making his second announcement that the cancer had returned. He was super nice and talkitive and even explained why he wore a different facemask during his 87 campaign (hard hit to the jaw made the drs reccomend he wear the bigger longer Marino mask. He said his pads were so big that it restricted the range of motion of his head so as soon as he was allowed, he changed back) which was neat because I had often wondered that. He talked about football, and even tried to answer some jersey questions, although he didnt remember a lot but it was still helpful none the less. That was only a small part of the conversation and although he looked like he had seen better days, he was wonderful, funny, engaging and took the time to speak to anyone who had a question or to snap a picture. All around nice guy (which ive heard is quite the opposite from his playing days)!! It made it even sadder to have just seen him a couple days before the news came out. All of Buffalo is rooting for him and he seems to be getting back a ton of support from the people who he supported and inspired through his play on the field. I, and many others Id imagine, certainly hope for the best because he is far and away to this day the biggest and most popular athletic figure in Buffalo.

Beantown, Im sorry, I dont. Your actually the second person to ask me that in the last week. Ive personally never seen one, but my coworker was telling me how he passed on one once because he said it was a port hole style, but the front number were sewn, while the back and sides were screen print. I think.thats cool, but because it didnt have any prominence he found it to be too odd/fishy to pay what the seller was asking. I got the impression it was years ago though, and there wasnt the resources that there are now a days to research it.

gobills23...thanks for the follow up...Smerlas is tough find!!