Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Banned

Exclamation Re: Sports writer who won't vote for Hall of Fame candidates

Quote Originally Posted by BU54CB View Post
    Just curious, who was a better second baseman than Sandberg during that era? Also, what's your case for Alan Trammell?
    Likewise, in the 1960s, aside from Brooks Robinson, who excelled at 3B more than Santo? Especially in terms of HR and RBI, in which Santo surpasses Brooksie? They both belong.

Dave Miedema

Re: Sports writer who won't vote for Hall of Fame candidates

Roady, I take it you are one who believes the HOF is really the "Hall of Exclusive"? No room for great players, just the all-time legends? (I'm not knocking your view, just clarifying for myself.

Assuming Bill James is a fairly intelligent guy and moderately astute baseball historian, he has both Larkin and Sandberg barely out of the top-5 for their positions. What, may I ask, is your criteria for the HOF? Because if we only take the top-5 at each position, you're not having 100 players in the hall.

I love Trammell, but I'm not seeing how he's better than Larkin.

Quote Originally Posted by BU54CB View Post
    Just curious, who was a better second baseman than Sandberg during that era? Also, what's your case for Alan Trammell?
    Didn't know the HOF was based on the best player in a 10 year period. I thought it was the best of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Didn't know the HOF was based on the best player in a 10 year period. I thought it was the best of all time.
    Late 70's to early 80's, the very best player in the NL and maybe even MLB was Dale Murphy. If a sportswriter in 1983 questioned his HOF enshrinement, they'd have been laughed at. Then he played way too long and it killed his chances of being enshrined. Had he retired in 1985?

Sandy Koufax couldn't strike out Goofy to begin his career but had 6 seasons pitching at the top tier, he retired, HOF.

Roady is right, it should be the best of all time. But what happens when for 6 years a player is a superstar, HOF numbers and the best player in MLB with stats and rivals declaring you were the hardest out/ best player/ etc.

I'd rather enshrine a Dale Murphy or a Sandy Koufax for being the best for half a decade than some 23 year vet who hung on for a 3000th hit but was never more than a good ballplayer who lucked out to have a career with no injuries.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

How do you determine if they are the greatest of all time, who do you compare them too? Do you compare Mike Schmidt to Babe Ruth or Gaylord Perry to Cy Young?

There has to be a combination of criteria used to determine a player's worthiness for the HOF, the era in which the athlete plays has to be taken into consideration. Comparing players from different eras to measure their greatness is almost impossible because the game changes so much, and that's true in any sport.