Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjclong
    • Feb 2006

Sports writer who won't vote for Hall of Fame candidates

Can anyone give me the name of the sports writer who said that he will refuse to vote for any baseball Hall of Fame candidates who played during the PED era? I would like to know who he is and where he works. To vote against a player who was clean like Marino Rivera because he played during an era when some others cheated is ridiculous. In fact, he ought to give the players who didn't take PED's more credit. If anyone can give me this information I would appreciate it.
  • cfern023
    • Aug 2012

Re: Sports writer who won't vote for Hall of Fame candidates

Murray ChASS

He's holding onto his vote out of spite, and the person next up to have the vote he doesn't like.

Comment

• cfern023
      • Aug 2012

Find all the latest MLB news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Comment

• cjclong
        • Feb 2006

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. Does the guy have any contact information.

Comment

• Roady
          • Jun 2012

The baseball HOF has become such a joke in the last 20-30 years what difference does it make?
          The hall of good players should be it's name.
          It took Duke Snider, The Duke of Flatbush, what 11 or 12 years to get elected.
          Many of the players elected like Ozzie Smith and Barry Larkin don't belong. And the veterans committee is putting everyone half decent in.
          It's a joke.

Comment

• helf35
            • Jul 2013

I believe Larkin is a HOF'er. Silver Sluggers, Gold Gloves and an MVP. He also has the All Star nods. He doesn't have any sexy milestone numbers but he was one of the most complete SS in the game. Ozzie on the other hand was a one trick pony but he did have 13 gold gloves and 15 all star nods. Personally I think Ozzie should have been a year 15 candidate at best.

Comment

• Sportskansascity
              • Sep 2024

I don't understand how you say Ozzie Smith shouldn't get in the hall of fame? Who else doesn't belong Roady? I am always interested in people's perspectives when it comes to who should or shouldn't be in the hall of fame.

Comment

• ShaimOnYou
                Banned
                • Jul 2014

Murray ChASS should have his voting privileges revoked permanently.

Why infect the honor of voting for a potential HOF'er by injecting an opinionated loser into the mix who has verbally displayed more than enough evidence he's not worthy of the task?

Even though I agree with keeping known cheaters out, there has to be a rational thought in determining fairness with regards to the "era" and the players who played the game right. Murray's position is just plain wrong, amateurish.

Comment

• Roady
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sportskansascity
                  I don't understand how you say Ozzie Smith shouldn't get in the hall of fame? Who else doesn't belong Roady? I am always interested in people's perspectives when it comes to who should or shouldn't be in the hall of fame.
                  Defensive much? Got a large Ozzie collection?

Ozzie Smith spent 19 years in MLB and still only collected 2460 hits, only 793 RBI, a pathetic .262 batting average, and only 1257 runs scored despite actually stealing 580 bases. Pathetic.
                  Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Ozzie Smith. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

His career on-base percentage is .337 and slugging percentage is .327.
                  Pathetic

Ozzie's career fielding percentage is .978. Not as great as everyone "remembers". Was he better than most in his day, yes. Is .978 the best ever? No Right now he is ranked 13th on the all time list. That is good but not the best like people want to believe. http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...s_career.shtml

Allan Trammell was trice the player Ozzie was. And I don't own anything of Trammells in case you are wondering. Not even a Tigers fan.

Comment

• Sportskansascity
                    • Sep 2024

Not a cardinals fan at all, and honestly only have a few items signed by him. I just like hearing different peoples perspective on the hall of game. I also enjoy people using the term "pathetic" when talking about certain stats. If you ask every single current hall of famer if they believe Ozzie should be in the hall of fame, well over 90% would say yes. Greater than the 75% that is required by writers vote. If you're going to say that he shouldn't be in, I'm guessing you'll say brooks robinson doesn't deserve to be either???? He didn't have the 3,000 hits or 500 homeruns. How about Sandy Koufax??? He didn't win 300 games? I find it funny to hear a guy who has no big league experience (correct me if I'm wrong) talk about any hall of famer's stats as pathetic.

Comment

• Roady
                      • Jun 2012

And I find it funny that you can't accept others have a different opinion than your own.
                      Pathetic

Comment

• Sportskansascity
                        • Sep 2024

I accept you Roady . Nothing personal I just like hearing peoples perspectives on why or why not people should be in the hall of fame.

Comment

• Roady
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sportskansascity
                          I accept you Roady . Nothing personal I just like hearing peoples perspectives on why or why not people should be in the hall of fame.
                          I appreciate that. We all have opinions and we all believe we are right. I always try to be the type of person who will change his mind if evidence supporting another opinion outweighs my own.
                          I remember Ozzie well during his playing days. And I remember the fans cringing when he came to the plate.

But the fans loved him and that means a lot more than the HOF.

Comment

• chakes89
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Roady
                            Defensive much? Got a large Ozzie collection?

Ozzie Smith spent 19 years in MLB and still only collected 2460 hits, only 793 RBI, a pathetic .262 batting average, and only 1257 runs scored despite actually stealing 580 bases. Pathetic.
                            Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Ozzie Smith. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

His career on-base percentage is .337 and slugging percentage is .327.
                            Pathetic

Ozzie's career fielding percentage is .978. Not as great as everyone "remembers". Was he better than most in his day, yes. Is .978 the best ever? No Right now he is ranked 13th on the all time list. That is good but not the best like people want to believe. http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...s_career.shtml

Allan Trammell was trice the player Ozzie was. And I don't own anything of Trammells in case you are wondering. Not even a Tigers fan.
                            But he did back flips!!!!
                            I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• beachpetrol
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by chakes89
                              But he did back flips!!!!
                              ...and he's a Wizard. If it weren't for the LOTR films, he wouldn't be in the Hall.

Comment

Working...