Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Raiders Helmet Late 70's - Early 80's Thoughts?

Your biggest clue as to what you have is inside your helmet. Look at your reconditioning stickers, more importantly the Jim Davis Enterprises reconditioning stickers. They were located in San Mateo, California. It has the characteristics of work being done by a guy who worked for them by the name of Bronco Hinek. They did a lot of the San Francisco 49ers helmet reconditioning back in the same period as your helmet before they were bought out by the Riddell Co. Hinek used slotted machine screws instead of the conventional ones that were used, yours seems to look like a straight slotted screw being used on the clips on your helmet. The Schutt RS facemask clips turning brown in color from aging are normal for those years. Facemask is late 70's style. Again concentrate and find information on the Jim Davis Enterprises football helmet reconditioning services and see if they also did some work for the Raiders. Remember they did it for the 49ers. I will try to find more if I can, hope this helps a little.

Re: Raiders Helmet Late 70's - Early 80's Thoughts?

Tom - Thanks!.... The style match seems to be consistent with the photos you provived from that era. As far as the rear of the helmet - upon closer look at where the numbers would have been, there is evidence of their removal after the helmets playing days. Looks as though someone cleaned the residue and scratched off what wouldn't wipe off (just an observation/guess). I'll see if I can find out any additional information from the previous owner.

bgakladd - Appreciated the insight you provided. I'll what I can find any link between Jim Davis Enterprises and the Raiders.