Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Mike Schmidt Game Used Cap on eBay

Hello Everyone, I would like to know your opinions of this game used Schmidt cap listed
    on eBay. There is a COA but this only guarantees the autograph. Schmidts last season was 1989. When did the Phillies start using New Era caps with a grey undervisor instead of green? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike

Re: Mike Schmidt Game Used Cap on eBay

Mike......the Phillies started using the grey undervisors in 1990 according to the website www.prosportscollectors.com ....... go to the Phillies cap section and you will see this stated.

Thanks,

-Walt

Tallyman77

My understanding has always been that the Phillies changed back to grey (from green) in 1992.

Schmidt cap mentioned by OP misrepresented as 1980s game used (1992-1993 underbrim and tagging):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121405851362

The same seller has a Ripken game ready bat (per the LOA) that is being sold as game used.

Danesei.......in saying that the Schmidt cap is 1992-1993, you missed the fact that it does not have the MLB batterman emblem on the back, which began in 1992. So this cap is definitely pre-1992. Please refer to www.prosportscollectors.com under the Phillies cap section concerning green bill vs. grey bill caps. Also, research the history of New Era caps and you will find this information. Thanks.

-Walt

Tallyman77

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyman77 View Post
    Danesei.......in saying that the Schmidt cap is 1992-1993, you missed the fact that it does not have the MLB batterman emblem on the back, which began in 1992. So this cap is definitely pre-1992. Please refer to www.prosportscollectors.com under the Phillies cap section concerning green bill vs. grey bill caps. Also, research the history of New Era caps and you will find this information. Thanks.

-Walt

Tallyman77
    That's a good point Walt. I didn't even see the back of the cap. BTW, this is on a side note, has anyone ever taken the sticker off of a 1992 cap? Is there residue where the sticker/patch would have been? Did those stickers ever fall off?

The emblems on the back of caps were glued on in 1992 and then stitched on thereafter. I have never heard of one simply falling off, but I have seen some that were pulled off and it left a very obvious outline with some residue. Do you think there was once one on the Ebay Phillies cap?

Thanks,

-Walt

Tallyman77

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyman77 View Post
    The emblems on the back of caps were glued on in 1992 and then stitched on thereafter. I have never heard of one simply falling off, but I have seen some that were pulled off and it left a very obvious outline with some residue. Do you think there was once one on the Ebay Phillies cap?

Thanks,

-Walt

Tallyman77
    Oh, no. It was more of a curiosity, since I know that New Era used to apply the logo with an adhesive when it first appeared.

The picture of the Phillies cap showing the backside shows no outline or residue and I truly believe it never had the MLB emblem, making it pre-1992.......but still somewhat confusing.

Thanks,

-Walt

Tallyman77