Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Celebz Direct & Hgpdiamond Questionable business practices

I don't believe there is a need to state the obvious, but I'll take a shot at it anyway.

If you are a game-used memorabilia marketing company that contracts with professional players directly, you should have each piece you sell accompanied by a player-signed COA in wet ink. If you don't supply that, then at least include a picture of the athlete signing the item from an angle and point in the signing process that will easily identify the item as being one in the same.

The day you start handing out "copies" of player signatures on a COA, you have nothing in regards to authenticity, and even less in recourse.

Imagine how easy it then becomes to dirty up whatever is accompanying the pre-printed COA's and sell them without any direct player provenance? That scenario is free reign for any less-than-honest person to sell a lot of unauthentic stuff. Worse yet, God help you, is if you end up with a questionable item. Anyone who comes forward with that "copy" and is looking for a refund for an item they deem unauthentic now faces the very real possibility of the marketing company saying "That letter wasn't the letter we issued with that item. Someone made a copy of the original and is now offering it with another item."

Good luck with that in court. Demand the real deal from the start, or pass. If you choose to accept a "copied" signature of a player on a supposed COA, then you are likely not going to end up with a successful collection.

Wow, this hobby. Haven't we all been through this with these types before? Don't accept a flawed system designed to line the pockets of the ones doing the deeds, but allowing them a "back door" exit when they need one. Make them accountable.

Chris

Shadiness and arrogance aside, I would have a hard time dealing with anyone who wants to be known as high-quality yet uses "Celebz" as their name.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaimOnYou View Post
    I don't believe there is a need to state the obvious, but I'll take a shot at it anyway.

If you are a game-used memorabilia marketing company that contracts with professional players directly, you should have each piece you sell accompanied by a player-signed COA in wet ink. If you don't supply that, then at least include a picture of the athlete signing the item from an angle and point in the signing process that will easily identify the item as being one in the same.

The day you start handing out "copies" of player signatures on a COA, you have nothing in regards to authenticity, and even less in recourse.

Imagine how easy it then becomes to dirty up whatever is accompanying the pre-printed COA's and sell them without any direct player provenance? That scenario is free reign for any less-than-honest person to sell a lot of unauthentic stuff. Worse yet, God help you, is if you end up with a questionable item. Anyone who comes forward with that "copy" and is looking for a refund for an item they deem unauthentic now faces the very real possibility of the marketing company saying "That letter wasn't the letter we issued with that item. Someone made a copy of the original and is now offering it with another item."

Good luck with that in court. Demand the real deal from the start, or pass. If you choose to accept a "copied" signature of a player on a supposed COA, then you are likely not going to end up with a successful collection.

Wow, this hobby. Haven't we all been through this with these types before? Don't accept a flawed system designed to line the pockets of the ones doing the deeds, but allowing them a "back door" exit when they need one. Make them accountable.

Chris
    First of all, i cant stated this whole "holier than tho" concept. Guess what, it's my collection and what I choose to accept ultimately is up to me.

The prints still describe the item as the actual ones do.

You act like a actually signed COA would be so much harder to "dirty up". Signed or not each COA still has a just as pointless hologram. Lets call a spade a spade, if somebody wants to fake or forge something they are going to do it. A real or copied COA changes nothing.

If I feel the item speaks for itself, then by all means I could care less about a COA. A copied COA for Woodson's custom Griffey cleats, signed G/U. You think I need to really bulk at the copied COA?

So the Rudi Johnson photo match cleats because exactly how much less valued with the copied Culpepper COA they have? Should I now expect these didn't come from his personal collection.

If your looking for either a player signed COA and or photo of the player with the item every time, your gonna need far more help with your collection than I will mine.

It's not about "accepting a flawed system" it's about applying some common sense. You have Woodson sell them 100 items, and expect him to personally sign 100 COAs? What happens when you spill soda on those last 25 remaining COAs, you just trash the items now?

Would it kill you to know that the guy I work with, I watch him sign every item and they come with a generic "signed in the presence of" COA?

It all comes down to the buyer, if I need a COA to tell me is real, I don't need the item.

I think the "Celebz" is the concept that they go well beyond football.

Some people on here will spend thousands of dollars on a hundred dollar jersey just because a man, a proclaimed expert, says it is real and gives out a LOA with with his signature on it.
    But lets not stop this witch hunt.

A thing I take into consideration is that I will die someday and everything game used I have will get sold off at some point. So, I think being possessive about "my collection" is a little short sighted.

Here is a fact that I don't think is debatable. A scanned or copied COA is a forged document. Period. Do you want to own a forged document in your home? Someone at some point will notice that and resale value is affected by whomever will sell the item.

Having a scanned/copied COA makes me think if that worthless little piece of paper is forged, what else is? It is like if the seller isn't going to be 100% truthful with that, what else is questionable? Where did the seller draw the line with entering into that area of grey?

And if you hold on to everything until the day you die, still someone somewhere down the line will have those questions.

I am not questioning the authenticity of any item itself (that may be another thread on the forum). I just wonder why Celebz or whomever originated the copied COA would do that. Doing less could have been doing more in this instance. I think many of us would accept the seller saying "Hey, I bought X athlete's collection. I have a ton of photos from the overall signing too. I don't have a photo of the athlete signing this particular piece and I don't have a COA from him, but I can give you a COA from our company, with my name on it stating that the item was autographed/game used and was obtained from this signing on such and such of date." At least then it provides more clarity other than some degree of smoke and mirrors.

Do PSA/DNA or JSA COA's have real signatures on them?

And I was asking because I do not know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Do PSA/DNA or JSA COA's have real signatures on them?
    They do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier39 View Post
    They do.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Thanks
    Sorry, psa does. Taube usually signs them. JSA I'm not quite sure.