Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: A gorgeous jersey ruined for me at least

Quote Originally Posted by woodward30 View Post
    I hate autographs on game worn jerseys. I repeat, I hate autographs on game worn jerseys. Why would you ruin a beautifully original historical item with a huge autograph? The player didn't wear the jersey with a huge autograph, so why put it on it? One of my biggest pet peeves of the collecting hobby.
    I completely disagree. If the autograph isn't aesthetically pleasing (such as this), then I would agree, but having a player autograph the game used jersey adds another personal touch to the item. They are marking their memory on that jersey for everyone to see.

The rear of the jersey would have been a more appropriate place for the autograph in my opinion.

Banned

This one in particular bothers me.

Yep, if I owned this ruined jersey, I'm afraid I'd just throw it away in the trash.

On a more serious note, some jerseys do lose a bit of luster if the signature (and inscription) is not applied in a tasteful manner. But in general, having the players signature is almost always a bonus to the piece. Of course I'm talking about from an investment angle, not personal preference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ShaimOnYou View Post
    This one in particular bothers me.

Yep, if I owned this ruined jersey, I'm afraid I'd just throw it away in the trash.

On a more serious note, some jerseys do lose a bit of luster if the signature (and inscription) is not applied in a tasteful manner. But in general, having the players signature is almost always a bonus to the piece. Of course I'm talking about from an investment angle, not personal preference.
    Hey! I need that Aaron jersey to go with my 62' game used Aaron pants!
    email me!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    Hey! I need that Aaron jersey to go with my 62' game used Aaron pants!
    email me!
    Sorry, I don't own it. I just pulled up a picture from an old auction of that jersey because I really liked it and remember the pain of losing it well.

Like its been said, it is all personal preference. I don't mind stuff with or without a signature.

I don't mind a signed gamer, but I strongly prefer it be on a number or something, not just floating on the jersey fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    I don't mind a signed gamer, but I strongly prefer it be on a number or something, not just floating on the jersey fabric.
    I prefer it on a back number also.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzick View Post
    I completely disagree. If the autograph isn't aesthetically pleasing (such as this), then I would agree, but having a player autograph the game used jersey adds another personal touch to the item. They are marking their memory on that jersey for everyone to see.
    To each his own I guess. I prefer to have the item exactly as it was worn/used by the player. If the item was altered in any way since the item was used directly by the player, I'm no longer interested in it.

Banned

Couldn't agree more. I can't tell you how many jerseys I've passed on because there was writing on them. Would you paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa? No? Then stop vandalizing unis. We want it to look exactly like it did when you wore it, and last time I checked, players don't wear unis with ugly signatures on them.