Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: A gorgeous jersey ruined for me at least

I helped an old man clean out his attic. He noted that some stuff in there belonged to his grandfather. Before too long, he stumbled on a 1927 game used Babe Ruth uniform. It had a bold Babe Ruth signature on it, "To my good buddy!, Babe Ruth". The old man asked me if I wanted it. I said no, the signature ruined the originality of the 1927 New York Yankee uniform. I don't like damaged goods! The old man responded, "OK, thought I would ask anyway. There is this nice man named Ken Goldin who has called a few times looking for baseball stuff. Maybe, I can get him to pick up all this junk for $20."

Quote Originally Posted by slats7 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I can't tell you how many jerseys I've passed on because there was writing on them. Would you paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa? No? Then stop vandalizing unis. We want it to look exactly like it did when you wore it, and last time I checked, players don't wear unis with ugly signatures on them.
    It's not a work of art. It is a piece of clothing mass produced in a factory.

And the Mona Lisa is boring. Maybe a mustache would make her smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    I helped an old man clean out his attic. He noted that some stuff in there belonged to his grandfather. Before too long, he stumbled on a 1927 game used Babe Ruth uniform. It had a bold Babe Ruth signature on it, "To my good buddy!, Babe Ruth". The old man asked me if I wanted it. I said no, the signature ruined the originality of the 1927 New York Yankee uniform. I don't like damaged goods! The old man responded, "OK, thought I would ask anyway. There is this nice man named Ken Goldin who has called a few times looking for baseball stuff. Maybe, I can get him to pick up all this junk for $20."
    Throw it in the garbage it has a signature on it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    It's not a work of art. It is a piece of clothing mass produced in a factory.

And the Mona Lisa is boring. Maybe a mustache would make her smile.
    of course they're works of art. who do you think designs them? janitors? more like graphic artists. and you can't call a Babe Ruth jersey "mass produced" when there's like two of them in existence.

there are plenty of people who can remove the autogragph for a fairly nominal fee

Im looking at my clothing different now. I have a closet full of Works of art!!!!!

Artists
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Subway employees are also looked upon as "artists".

I'm not in favor of getting game worn jerseys signed. There are different opinions on this subject, obviously. For those who can't resist getting jerseys auto'd, I'd recommend having them signed down by the tags. This leaves the upper portion of the jersey (the part that was visible while worn) the way it was while in use while still allowing for the personalization and authentication that some desire.

The worst is when you find a frail item and it is signed to the person. Totally a bummer unless you happen to have the same name.