Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: A gorgeous jersey ruined for me at least

Frail = Grail

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    I helped an old man clean out his attic. He noted that some stuff in there belonged to his grandfather. Before too long, he stumbled on a 1927 game used Babe Ruth uniform. It had a bold Babe Ruth signature on it, "To my good buddy!, Babe Ruth". The old man asked me if I wanted it. I said no, the signature ruined the originality of the 1927 New York Yankee uniform. I don't like damaged goods! The old man responded, "OK, thought I would ask anyway. There is this nice man named Ken Goldin who has called a few times looking for baseball stuff. Maybe, I can get him to pick up all this junk for $20."
    Well, that's just a silly example. There's a difference between the monetary value of a historical item and the collecting value of the piece to an individual. Of course I would buy an under-valued (monetarily speaking) jersey with a signature on it and flip it for a profit. I would never keep a jersey with a signature on it though. The jersey just loses all of its collecting value to me if it has been altered like that. And in regards to possibly removing the signature, I still would not accept the jersey for my collection. Sure, to the naked eye, the jersey appears original. However, the jersey has still been altered from its original form (which could be confirmed through means such as light table analysis). Again, it's a matter of preference.

Quote Originally Posted by slats7 View Post
    of course they're works of art. who do you think designs them? janitors? more like graphic artists. and you can't call a Babe Ruth jersey "mass produced" when there's like two of them in existence.
    Gear down a notch Hoss. Nobody is saying Babe Ruth jerseys are mass produced.

Let me try again since I obviously was not clear in my meaning.

The modern day jerseys are mass produced.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbaseball View Post
    Artists

Quote Originally Posted by seanbaseball View Post
    Im looking at my clothing different now. I have a closet full of Works of art!!!!!
    If you sign them you will have to trow them in the garbage.

Just wondering. By having a game ball, bat or anything else game-used autographed lower its value? There shouldn't be a difference since it is altered from its original state.

Quote Originally Posted by beaglegypsy003 View Post
    Just wondering. By having a game ball, bat or anything else game-used autographed lower its value? There shouldn't be a difference since it is altered from its original state.
    According to most of the auctions I have witnessed over the years it raises the value.

I really like that autograph/inscription in the OP. I love when players inscribe items "G/U" "Game Used" or something similar as then you, and those looking at it, know that it was used by the player. If I had a game used jersey that showed little wear without such an inscription, I'm sure many people would just assume it to be a signed jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    If you sign them you will have to trow them in the garbage.

my wife just ran upstairs to sign all of them!

I'm just thinking that those purist collectors who feel that an autographed jersey is "ruined" would never have any autographed game-used item in their collection. As for myself, I like to have my football game jerseys autographed by the player. The only thing is that I would like to get them autographed myself.