Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

A gorgeous jersey ruined for me at least

Take a look at this incredible jersey: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-73-Davi...item20eb50a634

I am a ABA fanatic, but for me personally - and again, just my personal preference - the writing and autograph on the front ruin it for me. Jerseys that are unique, gorgeous, from a defunct team, or just plain weird, to me transcend the player who wore it. No offense to the player, but for me it's the front of the jersey, not the back (i.e. player), that's amazing and cool. That's why I always shake my head when I go to a sports bar and see a framed game worn jersey that is displayed with the back showing. Great, a number and a name...when on the front might be a unique one year style, font, etc.

Again, I'm probably in the minority, but for me jerseys are a unique work of art, a snapshot of a point in time in the past, and having the player autograph it years later on the front of it doesn't enhance it but takes away a bit of that magic. Not saying others are wrong for liking the autographs, but simply one opinion.

Re: A gorgeous jersey ruined for me at least

In this case I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by topekabob View Post
    Take a look at this incredible jersey: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-73-Davi...item20eb50a634

I am a ABA fanatic, but for me personally - and again, just my personal preference - the writing and autograph on the front ruin it for me. Jerseys that are unique, gorgeous, from a defunct team, or just plain weird, to me transcend the player who wore it. No offense to the player, but for me it's the front of the jersey, not the back (i.e. player), that's amazing and cool. That's why I always shake my head when I go to a sports bar and see a framed game worn jersey that is displayed with the back showing. Great, a number and a name...when on the front might be a unique one year style, font, etc.

Again, I'm probably in the minority, but for me jerseys are a unique work of art, a snapshot of a point in time in the past, and having the player autograph it years later on the front of it doesn't enhance it but takes away a bit of that magic. Not saying others are wrong for liking the autographs, but simply one opinion.
    While it takes balls to attempt it, I'm sure you can get the autograph out. I had a jerseys stored for two years, and some 91% rubbing alcohol and a little scrubbing and out it came.

Just needs a wash after.

Completely ruined the jersey
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

I hate autographs on game worn jerseys. I repeat, I hate autographs on game worn jerseys. Why would you ruin a beautifully original historical item with a huge autograph? The player didn't wear the jersey with a huge autograph, so why put it on it? One of my biggest pet peeves of the collecting hobby.

Doesn't bother me at all.
    I have never seen a players bat being used in a game with his autograph on it either.
    Everyone cries for proof that items were game worn. Well there is your proof even if you lose the coa.

I see no problem at all. Matter of preference. Some like autographs on the front, others the back, or not at all. To the comment that the jersey was not worn that way with an autograph, well I've come across people who will wear a player's jersey. It makes them happy. However that's not my preference. If you own the jersey, it is retired. If you got the autograph, you met the player and you had interaction with him. That's great. As far as removing a signature, I have seen it done more than a few times. I have also seen a couple of disasters. You do so at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward30 View Post
    I hate autographs on game worn jerseys. I repeat, I hate autographs on game worn jerseys. Why would you ruin a beautifully original historical item with a huge autograph? The player didn't wear the jersey with a huge autograph, so why put it on it? One of my biggest pet peeves of the collecting hobby.
    I completely disagree. If the autograph isn't aesthetically pleasing (such as this), then I would agree, but having a player autograph the game used jersey adds another personal touch to the item. They are marking their memory on that jersey for everyone to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzick View Post
    I completely disagree. If the autograph isn't aesthetically pleasing (such as this), then I would agree, but having a player autograph the game used jersey adds another personal touch to the item. They are marking their memory on that jersey for everyone to see.
    To each his own I guess. I prefer to have the item exactly as it was worn/used by the player. If the item was altered in any way since the item was used directly by the player, I'm no longer interested in it.

The rear of the jersey would have been a more appropriate place for the autograph in my opinion.