Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Adam Dunn states "This may be it"?

I'd love to see Dunn come back.....I think quite a few teams would be interested in his services!!
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    I'd love to see Dunn come back.....I think quite a few teams would be interested in his services!!
    3 games into his A's career and he already has two home runs. I hope he leads the A's into the post season.

I am probably one of the biggest Dunn fans out there and I really hope he plays another year and gets the 500 but i really would not be suprised if he didnt. Personally I think several facators played into his poor 4 years and the most obvious is his role as a DH. Look at Thomas his batting average fell off after taking that full time role. 1998 he turned 30 and hit .265 which was a big drop off from his previous seasons. I think he only had one season of .300 after that. Also alot of guys avg decline after 30, look at Pujols. Dunn was a .260 hitter at his best so that 30 or 40 point drop even looks more hideous. I think the negativity with the fans consistantly booing and all the press slamming him really affected him as well. I couldnt imagine getting booed every at bat and having much success. That has to weigh on you eventually. Dunn is a nice addition not a centerpiece and I also think that was a big problem here. If he would have went to a team like the Rangers with a stacked line up at the time hitting with Hamilton Cruz and Beltre he would have probably had a better 4 years. I will be routing for the A's and hope at least worse case senerio he gets a ALCS run. All that losing has to get old and I hope he gets at least one champagne shower with the A's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by helf35 View Post
    I am probably one of the biggest Dunn fans out there and I really hope he plays another year and gets the 500 but i really would not be suprised if he didnt. Personally I think several facators played into his poor 4 years and the most obvious is his role as a DH. Look at Thomas his batting average fell off after taking that full time role. 1998 he turned 30 and hit .265 which was a big drop off from his previous seasons. I think he only had one season of .300 after that. Also alot of guys avg decline after 30, look at Pujols. Dunn was a .260 hitter at his best so that 30 or 40 point drop even looks more hideous. I think the negativity with the fans consistantly booing and all the press slamming him really affected him as well. I couldnt imagine getting booed every at bat and having much success. That has to weigh on you eventually. Dunn is a nice addition not a centerpiece and I also think that was a big problem here. If he would have went to a team like the Rangers with a stacked line up at the time hitting with Hamilton Cruz and Beltre he would have probably had a better 4 years. I will be routing for the A's and hope at least worse case senerio he gets a ALCS run. All that losing has to get old and I hope he gets at least one champagne shower with the A's.
    I hear ya, but anything short of 500 and he leaves in a whimper with a failed career. He has a LOT of fans. Sometimes you just have to tune out the boo-birds. He sure gets a loud crowd after launching one of his majestic bombs. Why doesn't he stress his decision on that?

First let me say that I am a Dunn fan. I always liked him and his honesty.
    I honestly felt that if he could have finished his career with a .250 avg and over 500 HRs he was a HOFer. I believe Killebrew was a .256 hitter.
    Doesn't look like he can finish with a .250 avg though.

The reason the league is full of 30-40 HR guys hitting .225 and striking out 200+ times is those stupid big contracts being given out like candy by the teams.
    They are kind of stuck with them and cannot give up on them as easy as some guy making 500,000 a year.

I think it will take a team like the Rangers to sign him. Close to home and could put up a decent line up with a chance to win. Not sure there is really anywhere else for him to go. Maybe Detroit if VMart leaves. Seattle would also be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by helf35 View Post
    I think it will take a team like the Rangers to sign him. Close to home and could put up a decent line up with a chance to win. Not sure there is really anywhere else for him to go. Maybe Detroit if VMart leaves. Seattle would also be a possibility.

Helf35, I really hope the Tigers resign Vmart. He's a top 5 hitter in all of MLB but my fear is the White Sox or another club will grossly overpay for him. If that should happen I know DD is smart enough not to sign Dunn. I hope Dunn doesn't retire and gets to 500 but no way the Tigers bite on his services. Thankfully they signed Vmart instead of Dunn 4 years ago. The Astros are a perfect fit. Carter and Dunn home run show in Houston.
    Collecting Miguel Cabrera and Detroit Tigers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by calmanagement View Post
    Helf35, I really hope the Tigers resign Vmart. He's a top 5 hitter in all of MLB but my fear is the White Sox or another club will grossly overpay for him. If that should happen I know DD is smart enough not to sign Dunn. I hope Dunn doesn't retire and gets to 500 but no way the Tigers bite on his services. Thankfully they signed Vmart instead of Dunn 4 years ago. The Astros are a perfect fit. Carter and Dunn home run show in Houston.
    I read an article about the Sox having VMART on the top of there to do list. All speculation but it would make sense. Abreu is not Cabrera but he is a damn good hitter and I think VMART would still see the pitches he is getting now. He is having his best season at 35 so I hope the Sox will pass for what his price tag will be. I am sure someone will give him way to many years. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a 1 or 2 year deal but I don't think taking him to years 39-40 will pan out for the Sox since they are still a few years away and that's best case senerio. Houston is young and talented but they are still years away from competing in a division championship. If he goes to Houston its for 500 or a chance to get traded to another contender at the deadline. I truly believe if he plays another year he will only play for a contender. I think your exactly correct that Detroit would not sign him I am just stating I believe that's the type of line up he needs to be in. He needs to hit sandwich between 2 good hitters for him to see better pitches.

I heard today on MLB Network Radio that Dunn will indeed retire. It's a shame that the A's couldn't find a pinch hitting opportunity for him in a 12 inning game.

Since he is really going to retire, I want to share my favorite memory of him as a Reds fan. I was at an afternoon game, I believe against the Giants, with a bunch of guys from work. Two runners got on for the Reds and they walked the guy ahead of Dunn to load the bases. I turned to my buddy and said something to the effect of "He's making $10 million a year and they just walked the guy ahead of him to load the bases. If he has a hair on his whole body he will be pissed." And sure enough, the Big Donkey hit a grand slam. That was sweet. Man, he sure hit a lot of pretty, arching homeruns.