Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miracleonice80
    • Feb 2011

Re: Someone's Holy Grail: Early to Mid 1960s Minnesota Vikings Helmet

Lots of variables.....man, this will be tough. He changed styles of helmets and masks a lot. I really wanna put on a 1960's style mask on it when its all said and done. The holes on the front are slightly off-line....maybe it never had a butterfly clip style mask.....since the holes would need to be lined up pretty straight......just a thought. Tony

Comment

• bgakladd
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by miracleonice80
      Lots of variables.....man, this will be tough. He changed styles of helmets and masks a lot. I really wanna put on a 1960's style mask on it when its all said and done. The holes on the front are slightly off-line....maybe it never had a butterfly clip style mask.....since the holes would need to be lined up pretty straight......just a thought. Tony
      This the mask I would find along with the gray clips.......
      Attached Files

Comment

• miracleonice80
        • Feb 2011

Wow.....do you see what I see on the last pic you sent with the dark jersey? The holes seem to be a little off-line on the front....much like mine. Interesting....RK helmet, holes identical, could have had the double stamping on the back from reconditioning and the helmet shows clip outlines on the front.....maybe a match? Oh, and it is a regular RK, not a husky....1 inch ridge on the top of the helmet......Tony

Comment

• bgakladd
          • Dec 2007

Google search "1966 NJOP clip on face mask" That is what I think the correct year period mask should be. Helmet Hut has them. I don't know if the mask he wore was xlarge in size or not. It looks big. Hoping this helps to give you the mid 60's look.
          Attached Files

Comment

• bgakladd
            • Dec 2007

Tony....is your helmet a husky??? If so, I found something.....

Comment

• miracleonice80
              • Feb 2011

Nope.....dont think it is.....has 1 inch ridge down the middle of the helmet.....husky ones have 1.5 inch......that pic you sent before might be my helmet.....the holes seem right on.....a little off line.....check out the mask and how it is not straight with the spacing....What did you find? Tony

Comment

• bgakladd
                • Dec 2007

ok...but I did find Tinglehoff wearing a husky with Fran Tarkenton in a game against the los Angeles Rams in what looks like Fran's early Vikings years before he went to the Giants. He has a butterfly njop mask. Another helmet style and mask style. Had to show you since I've dug into this helmet. Final score was 38-35 so maybe that will tell what year he wore a husky. I'm still sticking with the 1966 mask and clips on yours, not butterfly.
                Attached Files

Comment

• miracleonice80
                  • Feb 2011

Awesome! Great find.....saw that pic last night, too....great shot of the husky.....I watched films last night from Vikings games in 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969 and 1970......he switched a lot.....husky, no husky......clips only and butterfly clips.....Njop and Nop masks......really unreal how much he changed. Im with you.....1966 Njop clips(no butterfly). We gotta figure out what year Riddell switched to that other font.....I cant wait to see the mask on it! Gonna try to get an original mask with clips and original jaw pads......Thanks for your help so far! Good stuff......Tony

Comment

• miracleonice80
                    • Feb 2011

Hey....Helmet Hut doesnt have any of the mask I need in original condition......gotta get on the hunt for one.....Tony

Comment

• bgakladd
                      • Dec 2007

Hey....Helmet Hut doesnt have any of the mask I need in original condition......gotta get on the hunt for one.....Tony
                      I found some, but unfortunately they won't sell any. They have quite a few. User name REALSTUFF on Ebay. I will keep looking. Original 1966 ones are going to be a hunt. They are rare. Will see what I can do to help you out.

Comment

• miracleonice80
                        • Feb 2011

Ok...sounds good.....hunt is on! Tony

Comment

• UTeric3232
                          • Apr 2010

I bet the seller's eyes got REAL big after the auction jumped from $600 to $5300 in the last 5 seconds....lol

Comment

• bgakladd
                            • Dec 2007

Ok...sounds good.....hunt is on! Tony
                            Tony, Email me at bgakladd@aol.com I have a guy in Texas who thinks he might have one for you. I will give you his phone number. Hoping it is the style you need. let me know.

Comment

• miracleonice80
                              • Feb 2011

Cool.....just emailed you.....thanks. Crossing my fingers.......Tony

Comment

Working...