Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Someone's Holy Grail: Early to Mid 1960s Minnesota Vikings Helmet

This thing is incredible.... A beautiful RK2 from the early to mid 1960s, possibly worn by legendary center Mick Tingelhoff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Minn...item4adbd2b3ed
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: Someone's Holy Grail: Early to Mid 1960s Minnesota Vikings Helmet

Wow...it sold for $5299.00!

Yeah, it may be a while before you see another one of those. The seller had absolutely no idea what she had found... Just goes to show that "lost" items do indeed surface from time to time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Guys.....great post! I was the one honored to get the Tingelhoff Vikings helmet....it is great. I owe a lot of people a thank you for helping me with the Vikings collecting.....this was one of my grail items.....gotta get a mask and jaw pads now......it is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by miracleonice80 View Post
    Guys.....great post! I was the one honored to get the Tingelhoff Vikings helmet....it is great. I owe a lot of people a thank you for helping me with the Vikings collecting.....this was one of my grail items.....gotta get a mask and jaw pads now......it is awesome.
    At first I thought the helmet might of had the dunguard facemask similar to Tinglehoff wearing in the pic shown, but after seeing the view of the front of the helmet it might be more like the facemask shown in the signed photo because of the facemask clip outlines from wear.

Congrats to you. What a cornerstone to any collection! And bgakladd's photos are very helpful. I'm not sure of the spacing of those two holes, but I think it might be possible that BOTH facemasks were used during the life of this helmet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Oh, I forgot to mention... Contact Helmet Hut to get the world class treatment this rare gem deserves!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Hey, guys.....yeah, it is fun to research this stuff.....my helmet is obviously an RK version.....so you can eliminate the TK '70's versions....and dungards. If this helmet goes back to 1964-65, I think a butterfly/clip mask first was on it.....then maybe a clip only mask in 1966ish may have been put on.....looks like he wore a TK in '68, an RK in '69 and then back to TK in '70. The date code inside the helmet must have rubbed off......cant find it. Still some mystery surrounding this one......Tony

Hey, guys.....yeah, it is fun to research this stuff.....my helmet is obviously an RK version.....so you can eliminate the TK '70's versions....and dungards. If this helmet goes back to 1964-65, I think a butterfly/clip mask first was on it.....then maybe a clip only mask in 1966ish may have been put on.....looks like he wore a TK in '68, an RK in '69 and then back to TK in '70. The date code inside the helmet must have rubbed off......cant find it. Still some mystery surrounding this one......Tony
    Here is a pic with what looks like a butterfly clip mask. And it's a completely different style.

Quote Originally Posted by bgakladd View Post
    Here is a pic with what looks like a butterfly clip mask. And it's a completely different style.
    Here is a better pic of the butterfly face mask, with wide spacing.