Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Authenticity Opinions on this Jeter ball

That Jeter is not real

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey24fan View Post
    That Jeter is not real
    Ive felt the same, it's well executed but I think it's still no good.

It is a very nice "fake".

I compared all my Jeter signatures - on gamer and non-gamer, there was NO "pressure" difference between the signatures. They are all constant across the board. By this I meant - the ink pressure on the item is the same.

As for the OP's posted signature - it looked "press" really hard at first and then ease off.

Another thing that throw me off on the signature - the "D" loop seemed very OLD copy of Jeter signature on the bat. (Maybe they went hi-tech and have a trace-copy machine similar to the one that jeweler uses to engrave name inside the ring).

I honestly don't know how any of you can say with or without certainty that the signature is fake OR real. Unless, you either saw someone forge it or saw Jeter sign it. There are just too many variables such as maybe the pen he was using wasn't as dark giving the appearance of a lack of pressure. Maybe he was rushed and that's why a letter may look different. I have seen too many autographs that look completely different from the same person. There is NO way that ANYONE can say for sure whether it's real or not. And that goes for the supposed "experts".

I could post 50 autographs of people and I would bet that half of them people would say they are not "real" even though I obtained them myself.

99% of the time regardless of what the autograph looks like there are characteristics that are present in authentic examples. I am sure if you posted some examples of those 50 with fakes people could tell you real/fake and do quite well.

I'm not an expert on Jeter but that signature looks good to me. The thing that gets me is the part Steiners plays in Jeter items. If anyone met Jeter on the street and was able to obtain his signature they would have a tough time selling that item in the future because it would be considered questionable because it didn't have the Steiner sticker. I know you need to be careful in purchasing an item without proper authentication but Steiners brought it to a new level with Jeter. I guess in a way you should take your hats off to them for what they've accomplished with Jeter but as fans and collectors its caused some frustration. They have you in some sense to a point where if you want to feel comfortable with obtaining his signature then just send it in with a check for $600 and they'll do the rest otherwise you'll find yourself here asking if its OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey24fan View Post
    99% of the time regardless of what the autograph looks like there are characteristics that are present in authentic examples. I am sure if you posted some examples of those 50 with fakes people could tell you real/fake and do quite well.
    I don't agree.

Case in point is this Jeter. Half say it's good half say it's not. Plus if that were the case, then one would think that the 3PA's would be able to do a better job at authenticating signatures that are real. I have NEVER had a signature pass authentication even though they were all obtained by me in person. That is why I don't trust them and no longer use them.

The bottom line is that no one ever truly knows unless they see it in person...barring a blatant bad forgery.

Banned

I'm a bit late to the game but that Jeter is absolutely positively 100% real and there is no question in my mind. It possesses all of the "trademark" Jeter characteristics of his signature.

Dave

What are you submitting that is not passing. It is well known within the hobby that big names get rejected often unless you submit through a large sub or they feel like being generous. I have had IP stuff fail I have seen fake stuff pass.

They won't be perfect and nobody can be unless you only keep what you get IP.

To anyone believing this to be real, I would be interested in your examples either IP Steiner etc. that compare well with this.

Personally it looks like the numerous fakes that bombarded eBay during his retirement season.

I wouldn't be very comfortable buying that baseball. It could be real or it could easily be fake. To anyone saying it is surely fake I want you to go to the link below and tell me if you saw that ball without any authentication if you would call it legit? Derek Jeter is extremely inconsistent because of his scribble filled signature.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181639881163